"cursing the unlucky circumstances" - A translated Passage, good in English?

tasneemspring 3 / 25  
Don't justify your reluctance!
When confronted by situations in which one usually fails to react or do something, many resort to justifying their hesitancy by convincing themselves through indirect means. For instance, if a wife undergoes an unsuccessful marriage; full of pain and depression, and then is asked to put an end to this misery, she begins to make a list of meaningless and illogical justifications for acting otherwise.

One time, she says, "If it weren't for the children, I would've asked for a divorce a long time ago", even though she fully understands that the children would enjoy a better life when divorced. In other occasions, she may conclude, "Were it not for people's gossiping, I would've left him years ago," despite her full knowing that people do not really care, or they may just talk for a while and then get fed up.

Another example; someone who works in a certain job. Later on, he might get bored and weary, and begins to complain to his friends about how he suffers. Nevertheless, when it is suggested that he must leave this job, and look for a new one, he hesitates and directly resorts to petty justifications, saying: "There are no other good jobs out there", or "They depend on me, how could I just quit and disappoint them?!"

Actually, many people lead their lives like this. They refrained from changing, reacting or making well-planned decisions. Instead, they simply justify their hesitant or rather cowardly manner. Accordingly, they continue their lives, cursing the unlucky circumstances that brought these misfortunes upon them.

On the contrary, when we find a person who is willing to decide and take risks and finally succeeds, we say: "How lucky he is; he took the risk and fortunately succeeded." Note the expression "took the risk" as it implies that failure is more likely to happen. As if by indicating this, we are denoting that he was -unlike us- so courageous and risky to try and venture his fortune, and again was lucky enough to succeed thereafter. We congratulate his success; however, we praise our reluctance explaining that we have taken our precautions. As the Arabian saying goes, "The one who avoid risks enjoys safety." Nonetheless, this saying cannot be taken for granted for one may be afraid to the extent that he decides never to leave his house. In the long term, the house may fall down while he is in, or he may drown, get injured or even die, so is he safe then?!

Finally, one may deduce that at times we make some meaningless excuses by which we can easily justify our cowardliness and negativity towards the situations we go through. However, they turn out to be a mere bunch of petty justifications that hinder us from heading forward.

Questions:
This is supposed to be a translated passage, so I want to if the English reader may sense that it is translated.

How you grade the English language used there: accaptable, very good, or ecellent, and why.

Thanks for help indeed.
meisj0n 8 / 272 2  
I'll just read and grade and explain. that good?
if you want edits, I'll come back to edit~ :]
What language is this translated from by the way?

Para 1: two sentences. acceptable. Maybe you can break it into smaller sentences. I think you get the idea, but direct litertal translations sometimes fall short of the real meaning. I understand that this is a translation, but how does reluctance have anything to do with wives making lists of their hesitations? Make sure tense is consistent. Try not to use past directly with present tense.

Para 2: better than previous paragraph. a little problem with how the sentences with quotes. The endings of those sentences are confusing.
Para 3. very good
Para 4. very good, but some errors with tense
Para 5. very good, again, the tense is a bit rough sometimes. Ending sentences confusing a bit.
Para 6. very good

Overall, I'd say it's very good. Work on tense, and also on pronoun placement and usage.
OP tasneemspring 3 / 25  
Thanks for your time.

First: It is translated from Arabic.

Second: What's the proplem with tenses, could you show me an example, please?

Thanks again.
For instance, if a wife undergoes an unsuccessful marriage, f ull of pain and depression, and then is asked to put an end to this misery, she begins to make a list of meaningless and illogical justifications for acting otherwise.

Here is a place where the verb tense changes:
Actually, many people lead their lives like this. They refrained refrain from ...

...changing, reacting or making well-planned decisions. Instead, they simply justify their hesitant -- or rather, cowardly -- manner.

This is a profound observation! Thanks for the reminder about that tendency to justify reluctance!

:-)
OP tasneemspring 3 / 25  
Thanks for help indeed Mr. Kevin. However you didn't grade the passage!

Thanks for the explanation.

Home / Writing Feedback / "cursing the unlucky circumstances" - A translated Passage, good in English?