Desbribing a person - Julian, my soul mate

Sweet 1 / 1  
Julián, my soul mate

Having a close friend is a real gift. Júlián has been my bosom friend for seven years. I first met him when we were at High School. Now he is a nineteen-year-old Chemistry student. He lives in Salta, far away from its town.

Physically, Julián look older than most of other men of his age. He is of average weight, neither too fat nor too thin. He has a lovely plump face with sparkling dark-coloured eyes and a sensual well-shaped mouth. His glossy curly hazel hair falls over his curling eyelashes. He is stunningly handsome. There is something in the way he looks that rivets all women's attention. He is usually dressed casual. He prefers wearing informal, comfortable clothes rather than his "intolerable" suits and "horrible" ties (he hates formal clothing) I do not think I have ever seen him in a perfectly ironed suit.

As for his personality, Julián most striking characteristic is his great wisdom. He almost always has the exact word for the precise moment. Julián is very good-natured and always has time for a chat. He is also so altruistic and patient that hardly ever has time for himself. However, he tends to be quite stubborn, once he has made a decision, nothing can change his mind.

In broad lines, Julián loves spending time with his family and friends. He likes playing football and going jogging. Julián prefers being in the open air rather than at home, indoors. However, he hates going to discos since he thinks it is a total waste of time.

All things considered, Julián is my soul mate. He is handsome, jovial and loyal. Since the day we met each other, we have cultivated a beautiful and eternal friendship. Even though we only see each other from time to time, I am very fond of him and love our relationship.
OP Sweet 1 / 1  
hi!....thanks!!!!I'm really greatful for your suggestions:) I need them since I'm studying ELT.This is my second year and I need to practice very hard so..again: THANKS! Luckily I've found this forum surfing the net and its great!! :)

See you,
Débora.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good morning Débora.

You are very welcome. Whenever you need help, go ahead and post here, and I'll do my best!

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com
truonghong 1 / 3  
Hi, Gloria!
I'm a newer here. I happened to see this web when trying to find some information for my writing. I find it a very useful writing resource. I've just read Debora's essay and wonder why you used "He is also so altruistic and patient, so that he hardly ever has time for himself." instead of "He is also so altruistic and patient that hardly ever has time for himself"? "so that" usually begins a clause of purpose, doesn't it? But this clause isn't that kind!

Thanks!
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good afternoon.

In answer to your question, the second sentence you write is incomplete. You could use your sentence, but it would have to be altered to "He is also so altruistic and patient that he hardly ever has time for himself." In English not every sentence falls into the "suggestions" of grammatical "rules." Keeping that in mind, this author was using "so that" as an eloquent way to stress the unselfishness of the subject. In that case, it is appropriate.

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com
truonghong 1 / 3  
Hi,
Thank you for your explanation, Gloria!

Home / Writing Feedback / Desbribing a person - Julian, my soul mate