Home / Writing Feedback   % width   Posts: 2

Describe a fear you had to overcome. How did you overcome it? (TOEFL Independent Writing)

Sunrise011 7 / 14 7  

a true fear comes from inside

The impact fear has on personalities, personas and behaviors is a controversial topic that has gone on for a very long time; a topic that takes a political façade at times, and a social and cultural one at other times. I, personally, grew up in an environment free of political-related fear. However, I faced fears and struggles when it comes down to socializing. At a certain period of my life, I was scared of rejection as well as being put in a situation that is far off my comfort zone.

First of all, despite always having the eagerness to explore the unknown, I usually had a sense of fear of failure, or rejection when it comes to dealing with people; a sense that was perpetuated by society, primarily my parents. Indeed, at a certain age when it was fundamental for me to take risks that can eventually end up in failure in order to build strong bonds with the real world and its turmoil, I had to change. What I did is develop this 5-second rule. This method consists of counting to 5 every time I feel reluctant to take on a challenge; by the time I say 5, I have to automatically make a move. Although it was tough and quite frankly unrealistic to execute at first, as time passed, I started feeling more confident when making tough yet crucial decisions.

Furthermore, I had an unbearable attraction to places where I feel most comfortable in. If I am going out for dinner, I'd rather do it with my family or closest friends. When I choose where to seat in class, I would choose to sit next to a close friend or alone. Nonetheless, I knew I needed to affect change and I knew it needed to be tangible not just empty promises. Thus, I began putting myself on the edge with everything I do. If I play a Soccer game, I would do it with people I barely know so as I test myself under pressure. When leading a school project, I would find new people to work with every time. Overall, I had to put myself in different situations and test my response in each one. The results were impressive. Instead of feeling left out and ignored, I have built new relationships and made good friends. It was all about taking initiative in the end.

To sum up, I find fear a common aspect that describes humanity; and although at times, that fear is created by external forces such as mainstream media, politicians or society's postulates, it is always possible to take a stand and defy such beliefs. I, myself, can say that a true fear comes from inside and if you can make peace with yourself and find motivation from within, you can defeat any fears that once seemed indestructible.

*** Please give it a grade out of 15.

Thangnguyen315 8 / 24  
@Sunrise011 Although i'm not really a Toefl contestant, I think your essay is pretty good with clear structure and good expression. i also think there are very few grammar mistakes!

Home / Writing Feedback / Describe a fear you had to overcome. How did you overcome it? (TOEFL Independent Writing)
Need help with your assignments? Fill out one of these forms: