IELTS - The digital and traditional newspapers

hyperephania 10 / 27  
Although more and more people read newspapers on the Internet, newspapers will remain the most important source of news. Do you agree or disagree?

the main source of news

It is true that there has been an increasing number of people considering the Internet a better place to find information when compared to newspapers. I myself strongly believe that as this trend continues, the Internet will soon be as important as the tradition press.

On the one hand, I agree that newspapers will remain as a vital source of information, and will not be completely overwhelmed by the Internet. Firstly, newspapers have always been the most traditional way of catching up on news, and almost everyone prefers having something to hold on their hands when reading to straining their eyes on screens. Also, as the presses hire professional editors and journalists, newspapers are always more reliable and trustworthy when compares to the articles on the Internet.

However, there is a wide range of reason to believe that the Internet will soon be as popular as newspapers. One main reason is that the Internet always offers people with faster access to regularly updated news when compared to the tradition presses which are published only once or twice per day. Additionally, people can easily share their viewpoints and opinions on ongoing events and ague with others. To illustrate, in recent years, many a person has joined Medium - a forum where members write to share stories that matter them and others are allowed to comment directly on the posts.

In summary, it is absurd to argue that the Internet will never be as popular as newspapers. While newspaper's importance might remain unchanged, the online sources of information will soon be equally important.
@hyperephania this is not an extent essay response so a simple agreement or disagreement will suffice. In addition to that, since this is an "or" essay, you are expected to pick only one side of the discussion to fully defend in your overall presentation. This is not a comparison essay, which would have been indicated by the instruction "discuss both points of view". Unless you see that instruction in the original prompt, the essay discussion is always presented in the singular point of view.

That being said, your essay will be considered only partially correct in response because of the prompt deviation on your part. The deviation is an alteration of your response in reference to the original instructions for the discussion. Since this is singular response essay, you will get a score only for the part that coincides with the sentiment you presented in the thesis statement as part of your prompt paraphrase. Therefore, it is more than likely that you will not receive a passing score for this essay in an actual test.
OP hyperephania 10 / 27  
Do you mean that instead of wiritng this way, my writing should cover only one point - agree or disagree and the two paragraphs should explain why?

By the way, thank you so much!
Kim Truong 3 / 4 1  
Your essay is good at focusing on the topic and expressing your opinion. In my opinion, rather than analyzing both point of view, your essay will be more persuasive if you choice one option and convince the reader why your view is better than another.
imcloud16 1 / 2 2  
You may also present the solution to the traditional newspaper industry - will them going online be enough to survive?
Kino18 2 / 4  
Hi,

I agree with Holts suggestion on deciding which side you are 'agree' or' disagree' and focus on it.
Another point in regards to your essay structure is if you start with 'On the one hand' you next para should start with 'On the other hand' for coherence and cohesion. Also, you must avoid using Firstly if you don't have Secondly after that point.

Hope it makes sense. Wish you best for your exam. I am preparing for IELTS exam as well. Happy to receive your suggestion on my threads.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS - The digital and traditional newspapers