'End of the world 2012' - my research writing

Timmy102 2 / 2  
End of the world 2012

Timmy Tan
English 102
Robert Beckwith
March 17, 2012
Timmy Tan
Robert Beckwith
English 102
17 March 2012
End of the world 2012
Will this year be the final year for everyone in the world? I believe that 2012 won't be the end of the world because I feel like there's no way of telling the future. There has been a lot of speculation about 2012 being the final year for everyone, calling the day doomsday. This final day for everyone on earth is supposed to be on December 21, 2012. Having all this media attention and even a movie about 2012, will this year be the end for everyone?

There are a lot of people convinced that December 21, 2012 will be the day that there will be no more humankind on earth, but there are a lot of people not convinced that December 21, 2012 will be the final days for us. To me I just can't believe that someone can predict the world's ending, I'm just not convinced. The reason I want to write about this topic is to provide more knowledge about the end of the world and to show why or why not to believe that December 21, 2012 will be the final day for us. After researching about the end of the world the benefits for both me and the readers is that this paper can determine whether to become convinced or not about the end of the world.

There have been a lot of talks about the Mayan calendar ending on 2012, specifically on December 21 at 11:11 AM, making some people convinced that the end of the world will be here on December 21, 2012. December 21, 2012 marks the end of the 5,125 year cycle of the Mayan calendar, which is called the Great Cycle or the 13 Baktun Cycle. The Great Cycle or the 13 Baktun Cycle is a period of time where at the end of the cycle is where humanity reaches the next stage, where it's a continuous cycle of birth to death to rebirth. The Mayans felt that these cycles have a lot of great power to it and these cycles will become events on the earth.

Many people believe that we will start to experience a number of natural disasters such as volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, hurricanes, tsunamis, floods, droughts, and many more life threatening natural events. Even though the earth has always experienced these natural disasters people believe that these natural disasters will become more frequent and significantly more intense than the others that we have experienced. Even humans themselves can create their own near destruction if not a full destruction through social, economic, chemical, and nuclear warfare. As many countries are trying to become powerful and trying to dominate the world you don't know how that country will respond to threats from other countries because once someone drops a nuclear bomb that's probably when the world is going to become into extreme violence all over. It seems like everyone is carry a nuclear bomb and the more nuclear bombs are created the more threatened the world and humans are going to be to an end to the world.

As many stories as there are to why the world is going to end there are many people skeptical about the end of the world drama. ''Astronomers and experts on Mesoamerican history say the Mayan apocalypse is likely to be another in a long line of failed doomsdays.'' (Stephanie Pappas, mnn.com). Even Mayans living today believe that December 21, 2012 won't be the end of the world, but just a new beginning. NASA doesn't believe a planet is going to hit the earth because they would have seen this planet called ''Nibiru'' many years ago. NASA scientists also believe that the ''flip-flop'' thing where the Earth's magnetic field will throw civilization back into the Stone Age, or destroy the planet won't happen because according to NASA the planet's magnetic field reverses every 200,000 to 300,000 years and the fossil record hasn't shown any sign of disruption in life.

People believe that all this 2012 drama is so that people can make money off of it. There are going to be things sold so that people will think that they will survive doomsday. There are many believers buying books, food that last long periods of time, bunkers, and many things just for the day December 21, 2012. There was also a movie called 2012 creating more hype to this end of the world drama. Having many people fear that the world is going to end there is going to be people creating things to make money.

Even though there have been many reasons to why December 21, 2012 will be the end of the world for humankind I still believe that there is no way of predicting what's going to happen and that of course there are many threats to the world ending, but nobody knows if or when that will ever happen. I am hoping that December 21, 2012 won't be the end of the world and still believe that it won't be, but I feel like people shouldn't be afraid on that day and to just live your life normally as you would any other day. This end of the world drama is worldwide and it's up to that person to either believe it or not, but I really hope that December 21, 2012 won't be the end for humankind. Nobody really knows that December 21, 2012 will be the end of the world because only time will tell. I just hope that the outcome for December 21, 2012 won't be what everyone is thinking and that life will continue on as always.

Works Cited
AnonStudent007 - / 1  
Your intro sentence. "I believe that 2012 won't be the end of the world because I feel like there's no way of telling the future. "

If there is no way of telling the future how do you know 2012 wont be the end?

Do not say things like "i feel like" , you should make yourself sound like you Know, not that you have a feeling about it.

I would for example word it like this.

It is extremely unlikely 2012 will be the end of the world, there is no such danger or threat to the planet that will destroy it in one day and it is unreasonable to think so.

You also say " there are many threats to the world ending"
There are as a matter of fact no threats to the world ending.
So overall i think you should change the attitude of your writing just a little bit i know it is a research paper but you should still do it.

I could help you further but you need to explain what your rubric is.
OP Timmy102 2 / 2  
Thanks, your comments helped me a lot. What do you think I should change my attitude to for my research paper?

I believe this is the rubric.
1. What does the writer do well in this essay?

He clearly explains the dangers of genetically engineered crops, using strong evidence to support his ideas. He also integrates his source materials nicely.

2. What does the writer need to work on in this essay?

3. State the main point of this essay.

4. Does the introduction grab your attention? Does it lead smoothly to a thesis? If not, what could the writer do to improve it?

5. What is the thesis statement? Does it contain a strong opinion and specific focus? Explain.

6. Does each paragraph develop one main idea? Describe the main idea of each paragraph (five words or less for each). Does each topic sentence tie back to the thesis?

7. Does the writer offer evidence for the points he or she makes in each paragraph? If so, is the evidence convincing?

8. Does the writer use transitions between paragraphs and ideas?

9. Does the conclusion briefly summarize in a fresh way the writer's main argument and then end on a memorable note (such as a quotation, thought, image, or call to action)? What is that memorable impression that the conclusion leaves?

10. Are quotations integrated smoothly? Do they flow with the grammar of the sentence? Are all quotations cited correctly?

11. Is there a Works Cited page reflecting each author quoted in the body of the essay? Are the entries of the Works Cited page in correct MLA format? Are they alphabetized? Does each entry have all the necessary citation information? Does the Works Cited section appear on its own page?

12. Is the essay formatted correctly (margins, font, spacing, etc.)? If not, what needs to be corrected?

13. Does the essay have a creative title that describes the purpose/point of the paper in a catchy, clear way?

The title is boring. Perhaps something like "Regulations: The Only Safeguard Against Genetically Engineered Crops."

14. Are there grammar and spelling errors in the essay?

15. If you were writing this essay, what would you do differently? Why?
alisher_93 1 / 4  
hi there))
im not native speaker, but i will try))

first of all, i did't like ur introduction, bro let's change it into this form:

-Intro sentence; (what's 2012 itself? how did it come to debate)
-Statement (what thing makes it contraversial, why do others think about it)
-Thesis (what is ur point of view)
-Details and supports why u think so? (why do u think it wont be)

after all, i advise to put it for a day, just revise it next day)) it helps surely))
Do ur best good luck
stn0795 4 / 11  
I think 2012 movie can help you more interesting infomation for your essay.
Son

Home / Writing Feedback / 'End of the world 2012' - my research writing