IELTS WRITING: The exploration and development of safe alternatives to fossil fuels

lylong 2 / 1  
Question:The exploration and development of safe alternatives to fossil fuels should be the most important global priority today. To what extent, do you agree or not?

Essay:

New Energy and Fossil Fuel Replacement

The development of economy requires a larger of energy (especially fossil fuels) to operate factories, machines, vehicles. However, the unpleasant effects of using fossil fuels are influencing directly on ecosystem and our health. Hence, I strongly believe that these fuels should be replaced by other safe energy.

There are two reasons I mentions to explain the necessary of replacing fossil fuels. The first reason is the damage of using fossil fuels to ecosystem. People burn coal and oil, a lot of harmful gas are created such as nitrogen oxides, sulfur dioxide, volatile organic compounds and heavy metals. These gases not only directly affect to our health, but also cause greenhouse gas emission which causes the climate change. Recently, the number of natural disaster is increasing with more powerful by the effects of climate change such as tsunami in Japan, earthquake in Haiti, and so on. We have to act for our natural environment before too late.

Another reason is our natural resources are becoming exhausted, and coal mines and oil fields too. Oil and its products are currently the most popular energy sources in the world, however, the volumes of it is limited. Thus, if we use it too much, there will be nothing for our next generations. In addition, the price of fossil fuels is very high (about 100$/gallon), so if new cheaper energy is created, factory will reduce productivity cost, consumer will pay less money for petrol and other products. New cheaper energy can help the economy develop and come over the economic crisis now.

On the other hand, I do not admit the importance of fossil fuel. Thought out twentieth century, fossil fuel was one of the main factors contribute to the growth of technology and economy. However, pollution from fossil fuels is regarded as a negative externality. Therefore, if we want to have a sustainable economic growth, we need to develop alternative energy which include hydroelectric, solar, wind, and geothermal.

I n conclusion, although the supplies of fossil fuels are still enough in many countries, I believe that using safe alternatives to fossil fuels can insure the protection of our environment and rescue our next generations.
monamona 7 / 10  
Hi
In paragraph one:
a larger of energy--> a large amount of energy

In paragraph two:
There are two reasons I mentions to--> From my point of view there are two reasons
basawang 10 / 76  
The development of economy requires a largerlarge amount of energy (especially fossil fuels) to operate factories, machines, and vehicles. However, the unpleasant effects of using fossil fuels are influencing directly onexacerbates the ecosystem and our health. Moreover, fossil fuels are not infinite in supply. Hence, I strongly believe that these fuels should be replaced by saferenewable energy.

You want to discuss two disadvantages of fossil fuels in your essay, but you did not mention the second point in the introduction.

So I add one sentence marked with the red color. I hope it would help.

Good luck

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS WRITING: The exploration and development of safe alternatives to fossil fuels