IELTS Task 2 - the extinction of particular species as the primary environment issue

iygnit 4 / 7 1  
Some people say that the main environmental problem of our time is the loss of particular species of plants and animals. Others say that there are more important environmental problems.

Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.

Nowadays, there are different views about whether the extinction of particular species is the primary environment issue. While some people argue that the problem of endangered animal and plants is important, I support the idea that other natural problems are more vital.

The are many reasons why it could be argued that the risk of endangered wildlife and plants is the most crucial problem of our worsening environment. Firstly, the increasing number of endanger species is damaging the food chain. It can cause the entire food web off balance if particular species die out. Secondly, it is detriment to natural diversity. The natural cycle might be completely destroyed in this respect. However, saving individual species should be the main focus is reputable, there are other problems deserve out attention.

In spite of the above arguments, I would agree that other natural crisis is more significant these days. Many countries are calling action to reduce the pollution such as air pollution and water pollution. The rising trends of acid-rain emission has become a tremendous threat to natural habitants and water resource. If the pollution become severe, the speed of global warming would become faster. Furthermore, the increasing trendy for plastic production is another urgent issue. More and more plastic has been discarded and a little of it can be degraded. As the result, a lot of animals have been killed by plastic product. These environmental problems are putting our nature at risk.

In conclusion, although the loss of wildlife and plants seems important. I personally think the impact of other natural disasters are posting more threat to the environment.
This is a 5 paragraph essay. That means you need 3 body paragraphs to properly address the prompt. The 3 body paragraph should be composed of stand alone paragraphs for the 3 topics provided which are:

Par .1 - Animal extinction
Par. 2 - More important environmental problems (greenhouse effect, global warming, melting of the icebergs, loss of agricultural land to real estate, etc. )
Par. 3 - Personal opinion

The original prompt always dictates the number of paragraphs you have to write based on the number of discussion topics presented. In this case, there were 3 topics included. Hence, 3 body / discussion paragraphs required.

Your discussion points per paragraph should be limited to one topic each due to the information requirement of each paragraph:
- Topic sentence
- Reasoning
- Example
- Additional explanation
- Transition Sentence

An example of this type of paragraph, based on your first paragraph is:

The survival of man relies on how plants and flowers function in the wild. Plant leaves and flowers create carbon dioxide, which is the main component of oxygen which man needs to survive. However, plants and flowers wither and die during droughts. That means that the bees that carry the flower pollen to other places to help seed plants across the globe won't be able function and, as a result natural oxygen cannot be created. Considering this effect, then the people who believe that there are other more important environmental issues might be wrong.

Environmental issues such as ......

Considering these discussion points, I would have to say that...

While the discussion points are present in your paragraphs, you need to do a better job at developing your discussion reasons and transition points. Keep it simple. Don't try to over discuss the topics. Clarity of discussion is more important than the quantity of discussion in a Task 2 test. While this work is good, it could have been better. Focus on scoring through quality of your written work instead of the quantity of the words in your essay.
OP iygnit 4 / 7 1  
Thank you @Holt. Your feedback meant a lot to me.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS Task 2 - the extinction of particular species as the primary environment issue