IELTS Writing Task 2: The global import of food (Positive/Negative)

notme 1 / -  

Today many countries import food from different parts of the world. Is this a positive or negative development?

It is true that the global import of food is becoming a norm in various countries. Although there are certain benefits of such a trend, I would argue that this is a negative development.

In my opinion, the rise in food imports could be seen as progress in some ways. When foods are being imported, there are a number of strict international standards to monitor the quality level of the products. This would surely ensure food safety because it encourages competition among food processing companies and only the best products end up on the market. At the same time, imports give people access to a wider range of choices and mitigate the likelihood of food shortages resulting from local production risks. For example, people in a country whose climate and land are unfavorable for the cultivation of fruits and vegetables still have fresh bananas, mangoes, tomatoes, or potatoes anytime they desire.

Despite the positives mentioned above, I believe that the increased reliance of many countries on foreign food is negative in the long term. Firstly, the national food security will depend on the political, economic, and social stability in other countries elsewhere, and therefore are vulnerable and unsustainable. Secondly, food imports may have an adverse effect on local production since it could lead to lower prices that perhaps most local small-scale producers are not able to compete with. This means that many people would be discouraged or deprived of jobs, resulting in a decline in the domestic food industry. And finally, it also shifts demand towards foreign foodstuffs because tastes and preferences change as the locals get used to the non-traditional cuisine.

In conclusion, while I recognize the possible positive aspects of the import of foods to a country, I consider it to be a negative trend overall.
It is true that the global import of food is becoming a norm in various countries.

This statement is unnecessary as it does not address a specific discussion requirement in the original prompt or discussion instruction. Note the portions I struck out of the sentence. the . portion was the only required presentation.

a negative development.

Based on what simplified reasoning presentation? The thesis statement requires the presentation of the discussion basis. Summarize the 2 upcoming discussion points in support of your opinion. It will create a clear task/ discussion flow.

imports give people access to a wider range of choices

This paragraph runs counter to your presented opinion. Therefore, it should not be discussed in this single opinion presentation. Once the word count for this section is disregarded, you could get an automatic failing score for coming in at less than 250 words. Always present, supporting only, unless otherwise specified.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS Writing Task 2: The global import of food (Positive/Negative)