IELTS Task 2 - Should governments control newly constructed buildings?

intothevrains 1 / -  
Question
Some people feel that the design of newly constructed buildings in big cities should be controlled by governments.
Others believe those who finance the construction of a building should be free to design it as they see fit.

Discuss both these views and give your opinion.

Nowadays, industry's development pushes big cities in many countries growth more, which results in the appearances of tall buildings. There are people think that governments should control the new buildings, while the others believe that people or organisations who finance the buildings have the right to freely design them as they pleased. I would like to discuss my view about this matter.

On the one hand, the job of designing and commanding how to construct the building belongs to engineers. Engineers are people who have studied about constructing and they have knowledge about designing and evaluating blueprints. If they are provided with a piece of land, they will know about the pros and cons of the land and they will draw a blueprints fit with it. Constructing a building is not an easy task. Therefore, engineers are assigned to do such a job. If the engineer is a professional one, they can do their job right no matter how hard it is.

On the other hand, there are a few problems to deal with if the buildings are not in management. Without proper monitor, some constructing projects will encroach more land than it suppose to have. This may results in the lack of land for some other project. Another problem is, there are people and organisations who uses land illegally. While a piece of land is not managed seriously, there are people try to utilise the holes of law to construct something without someone's notice. And when it is find out, it costs no little money to remove the building. Not only that, in several countries, there are constructing projects which have been left unprogressed for many years due to the lack of governments's management.

My conclusion is, engineers are free to design buildings and to construct them as they see fit. However, at a certain level, there must be governments's management in order to ensure engineers and owners of these constructing projects abide the law of their country.
The prompt restatement was off to an illogical opening sentence. It showed a lack of proper sentence formation on the part of the writer who struggled to make the topic sentence understood. After that, he reverted to using an all too similar representation of the original prompt, to the point where it may be seen as a mere cut and paste of the original. From there, he failed to represent a clear opinion of the topic within the prompt restatement + writer's opinion paragraph. That paragraph will result in a failing TA score. Meaning the essay will have already failed, even before he started presenting his opinion paragraphs.

When the essay has a "Discuss both views and give your opinion" requirement, the writer is expected to represent 3 points of view in each paragraph. The format for the paragraph asks him to write an explanation of why the public opinion is correct, by correctly using the representative pronouns throughout. That means, use third person group pronouns for the explanation of the public opinion then, using first person pronouns in the same paragraph to show his dis/agreement with the presentation. The essay cannot, as the writer has currently presented, be addressed solely from the personal opinion of the writer.

The essay will fail due to the non-compliant discussion format. The concluding summary is missing from the essay since the writer used the conclusion to discuss his personal opinion. This created an open ended essay which will result in an automatic failing score. The lack of a proper summarized discussion is pivotal to the overall scoring process as it partners with the score of the prompt restatement + writer's opinion found at the beginning of the presentation.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS Task 2 - Should governments control newly constructed buildings?