Why Harvey Mudd College-This student asked and answered his own question

yf8651 16 / 31  
Hello! Can anyone help me to proofread this essay? Any comment and harsh critique is greatly appreciated!

P. S. This is a why essay for Harvey Mudd College, which do not ask for a why essay. Can anyone tell me is it a wise choice to write an additional why essay for schools that do not ask for such essays.

This student asked and answered his own question-that the admission committee should have asked but didn't. The question was: "Why are you interested in HMC?

Liberal art education has fascinated me for long. My desire of going all the way across Pacific Ocean to the United States for higher education comes from this distinctive education. In my country China, students are required to choose their majors as soon as they enter universities and have to focus on the chosen majors throughout four years of lives without possibilities of changing the major. Such education discourages me since I believe the purpose of education is to train "all-around people" instead of "skilled workers and particular practitioners". Thus, I hope to do extensive exploring in a variety of fields and to develop my comprehensive competence and good habits of mind. On the other hand, I hope to learn more about engineering, which has intrigued me ever since the time my beloved river was polluted (I have elaborate my story with the river on "Why engineering" essay).

It seemed there was no perfect solution to my dilemma since I believed liberal art education and specific engineering education did not reconcile with each other. As I felt depressed about my tricky situation, one of the upperclassmen introduced Harvey Mudd College to me. Knowing its unique liberal art education combined with engineering major, I realized that HMC is exactly my choice. Providing solid core curriculum and engineering program, Mudd will surely make me an effective engineer who has a good understanding of history and politics and knows how the work in engineering fits into the world. I want to be a qualified engineer with hands-on experience of designing, creating and transforming. Thus, the Clinic Program in HMC is an irresistible attraction to me. With the help of Clinic Program, not only will I be fully engaged in the solution of real-world problems, but I will gain practical knowledge in a global context. As an ambitious young man, I hope to fulfill my potential and make my own contributions at Harvey Mudd College.
melb 2 / 10  
Liberal art education has fascinated me fora longtime. My desire of traveling across the Pacific Ocean to the United States for higher education comes from this distinctive education.

....and have to focus on the chosen majors throughout four years of their lives

...to develop my comprehensive competence and good habits of mind.
I would consider revising this sentence. It took several times of reading it to understand what I think you meant.
...to develop my comprehensive competence and the good habits of a disciplined mind.
Can anyone tell me is it a wise choice to write an additional why essay for schools that do not ask for such essays.

I think it is quite an audacious thing to do! It can be good or bad. It is bad if you seem like you just had to write a why essay for other schools and included it just for the heck of it. It is good if you make a big deal of the fact that you wanted to express WHY you wanted to do there but were dismayed to see that no such essay was required. How impressive it is to impose an additional requirement on yourself! :-)

You write very well, but I want to know WHY it is essential for you to go to this school instead of some other school. What makes this school best for you? Convince them that they must let you into this school in order for you to proceed on a methodical and brilliant process toward your goals.
opeakapo 1 / 2  
Harvey mudd actually has something like a Why XXX college? essay on their supplement. It goes like this...

What influenced you to apply to Harvey Mudd College? What about the HMC curriculum and community appeals to you? (500 word limit)

so, it's actually not an optional essay. it is required.

Home / Writing Feedback / Why Harvey Mudd College-This student asked and answered his own question