Increasing dependence on technology & the ability of thinking for ourselves

edisonjk 1 / -  
Hi guys, take some time to proofread my essay of a GRE issue.

As people rely more and more on technology to solve problems, the ability of humans to think for themselves will surely deteriorate.

Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

Technology, broadly speaking, can be defined as an innovative vehicle for the facilitation and convenience of our life and work as well. It is apparent to see that these modern technological devices, such as smart phones, laptops, microwave ovens, bring us the diversity and entertainment from almost all aspects of our life. With our increasing dependence on these sophisticated technological tools, most people now begin to feel obliged to think it tends to result in an obvious deterioration in our capability of thinking and creativity.

Admittedly, a more frequent reliance on science and technology to solve problems has been seen in an era featuring explosive knowledge and news. Hectic commuters are reluctant to squeeze their bodies into the limited-spaced vehicles, including shuttles, public buses, subways, private cars in an attempt to save a tiny amount of time. Smart white-collar workers in the multinational enterprises dressing in fancy suits are fond of presenting their potential clients the blueprint of their commercial campaigns with the aid of the PowerPoint software and overhead projectors. Armed with an ipad or an iphone, children even in kindergartens are desperately addicted to the virtual world of the Internet. These dramatic changes that have been taking place in modern society evidently prove that people from all walks of life tend to be the victims or slaves of the so-called state-of-the-art technological creations.

However, with numerous modern scientific breakthroughs, have humans already surrendered to a vicious circle of problem-solving alongside with a decline in thinking for ourselves ? I am fully convinced that our mental and intelligent development cannot be restricted in the changeable and progressive technology itself, for it is we who initially create it. Without wildest imagination and outstanding creativity, it seems far more inconceivable for humans to undergo the revolutionized transition from a primitive era to an information age. The consistent creation of technological devices does serve as a conspicuous evidence of our human intelligence and critical thinking. For instance, the great invention of an airplane by American aviation pioneers, Wright brothers provided us with an opportunity to do business and go sightseeing without a limitation of national boundaries. The amazing discovery of vaccines and DNA sequencing has made it possible that hundreds of fatal diseases that had long afflicted humans are able to be successfully cured with advanced medical equipment. The scientific cooperation of the nations all over the world for global issues, like global warming, poverty, feminine, water shortage, air pollution, natural diseases has become increasingly crucial for a bright prospect of our future generations.

In sum, too much addiction to the latest technological inventions seems to be a detriment to the psychological and physical health of our humans. It should be noted that a variety of technological temptations alienate person from person, even giving rise to a state of hopelessness and loneliness within us. Indulging in technology may trigger serious crises, such as academic plagiarism and moral deterioration. But on the other hand, the application of mobile phones and the Internet to all fields opens another door for us. We share what we have in a brand new way. New challenging issues are expected to be hopefully addressed relying on our appropriateness and rationality of use of modern technology.
Technology, broadly speaking, can be defined as an innovative vehicle for the facilitation and convenience of ourlife and work as well.

... "life" incorporates everything about it, so work is also embedded in it.

Technology, broadly speaking, can be defined as an innovative vehicle for the facilitation and convenience of our life and work as well. It is apparent to see that these modern technological devices, such as smart phones, laptops, microwave ovens, bring us the diversity and entertainment from almost all aspects of our life

In my view, the main reason why people become so dependent on technology is that they offer more convenient and efficient solutions to almost every need of our lives and at the same time technology itself creates new needs and wants for people influencing heavily to have adjustments in their life-styles.

Home / Writing Feedback / Increasing dependence on technology & the ability of thinking for ourselves