The increasing number of overweight children

scouser_ 1 / -  

Overweight Children

The number of overweight children in developed countries is increasing. Some people think this is due to problems such as the growing number of fast food outlets. Other believe that parents are to blame for not looking after their children's health.

In today's modern world, overweight has become one of the biggest problems of our society. Recently, there was a debate who is responsible for it - the fast food outlets or parents who are not enough concerned about their children.

It is a common opinion that the increasing number of fast food restaurants is the reason for weight above the normal. Such outlets have become part of our everyday life and children can not avoid the temptation for junk food. The worst is that they do not realize in what way can such food harm their body - it is not just the overweight, but more serious health problems such as heart attacks, diseases, etc.

On the other hand, parents are those who are supposed t take care of their children. Busy schedule could be explanation for ordering takeaways and going to fast food restaurants, instead of preparing healthy food regularly. What is more, children are not grown enough to know what is good for them and what is not. That is why parents have to help them to find the best decision. Often children are no happy wit such guidance, but later they are always thankful for listening to their parents.

In my view, parents are guiltier than fast food outlets. Parents are those who can prevent overweight, they want to do the best for their children and if that means forbidden something, they have to do it. Parents should not blame fast food restaurants for their own mistakes.

Overweight is a complex issue, but the main question should be not who is responsible for it, but how to prevent it.

Thanks in advance but I really don't know what to expect for the part 2 :)
Phoebe Su 5 / 15  
You talk about the food outlets and parents being responsible for the increasing number of overweight children.
You may consider taking about the school being responsible. For example, the school canteen prefer to serve fast food instead of healthy food.

And you may talk about the individual's responsibility too, because it's partially the children' faults not to keep themselves healthy. (Not all children are kids, some of them are teenagers or even adults)
airman 2 / 3  
i think that you need to explain on the means to prevent it and whether it will actually work. I get your point that it is futile to point fingers at those who are responsible but you need to understand that without doing so, those who are the causes for overgrowing children might actually 'overwrite' the existence for prevention. Example: A parent who buys fast-food for his child who exercises often might still cause him to become fat

Home / Writing Feedback / The increasing number of overweight children