TOEFL independent writing:A Leader should have strong opinions and should not change his/her opinion

noalawyer 1 / -  
Generally speaking, many people possess different opinions on whether a leader should have strong opinions and should not change his/her opinions. While some believe that goods leader should be a strong leader, others believe that leader should be a man who can accept others advise. From personal observation, I believe that leader should not have strong opinions and should change his/her opinions.

First of all, a leader should be good at listening, and good listener should change his/her opinions if others give good advice. Take my friend as an example. My friend was a president of technology club. He always knows how to be a good listener, because he really cares about others views and can have a good response. Even though some opinions are critical, he still happy to know about those opinions. If it is a good opinion, he always takes it and makes an improvement. Soon, his club became popular because many people believe they can find a sense of belonging in his club. On the other hand, if my friend was not good at listening and changing his opinions, he would not make his club popular. Therefore, leader should be good at listening and changing his/her opinions

Secondly, a leader should know how to maintain a good relationship with others, and it is helpful if a leader can change opinions sometimes. To illustrate, a leader should be good at maintaining a good relationship with others, otherwise he will have no follower. A leader can accept others opinions can definitely make people believe that he really cares about others. Accordingly, he can maintain a good relationship with others. However, a leader can not change his/her opinion means that he does not really care about what others are thinking. Therefore, he may not have a good relationship with others. As a result, leader should know how to maintain a good relationship with others, and it is helpful if a leader can change opinions sometimes.

Last but not least, a leader should always be aware of changing, and leader should have the ability to change. To illustrate, the world is changing rapidly, so it is important that a leader can adapt himself/herself to a new environment. If a leader wants to have an ability to accommodate change, he/her should always be able to change his/her opinions. A leader having strong opinions is not helpful if the condition shift, because it means that he/her can not be aware of change or not willing to change. Suffice it to say, a good leader should be able to know the change and act on it.

In conclusion, a leader should be able to change his/her opinions, because he/her should be a good listener and can maintain a good relationship with other. Changing opinions also can help a leader be adapt himself/herself into new change.

(if it is possible please let me know your opinion about my grade out of 30 for toefl exam, thank you)
ichanpants89 [Contributor] 16 / 777 309  
Hi Huang, welcome to EssayForum :) I hope you can find this website is fruitful towards your development in writing an essay, especially in a TOEFL independent writing essay. You can develop yourself by doing peer-corrections to other members' essays in this forum. This activities will definitely enhance your writing skills significantly. Therefore, you are suggested to keep participating in this forum and keep giving meaningful feedback towards others.

With regards to your essay, I can see that you have received a very-constructive feedback from one of EssayForum members. I do hope that you can follow through. Anyway, you were asking about the possibility of grading your essay and I would say Yes, it is possible, but remember that this is just a prediction score. Writing is a subjective test, somehow different people have different standards. Therefore, I will try to assess your essay based on TOEFL independent writing rubrics with the scale of 0 - 5, and then will be converted to the scale of 0 - 30.

Firstly, you were able to address the topic and task by using developed explanations, exemplifications, and details. Unity, progress, and coherence had been displayed, though connection of ideas was occasionally obscured. Secondly, based on the corrections above, some sentence formations were inconsistent, and some inaccurate or inappropriate word choices leads to a lack of clarity and unclear meaning. Lastly, I share the same opinion as Nahid, even though most of the vocabularies were accurate, it still had limited range of syntactic structures. In sum, it is unfortunate that it can't go beyond 3.0 or 3.25 scale. I think it is somewhere around 20 - 21 (after conversion of raw score).

Home / Writing Feedback / TOEFL independent writing:A Leader should have strong opinions and should not change his/her opinion