IELTS - 'infrastructure' - How to solve growing traffic and pollution problems

Isabella_ 1 / 2  
Increasing the price of petrol is the best way to solve growing traffic and pollution problems.
To what extent do you agree or disagree?
What other measures do you think might be effective?

There has long been a debate about whether escalating the price of oil or not, so that we could control increasing traffic and pollution problems. With the improvement of our living standard, more and more people can afford cars, what cause many questions. From my part, price is not the nicest policy or solution for this, and in the following, I would like to present my point of view.

First of all, it is undeniable that growing the price could decline traffic more or less, especially for residents of city. But if the time and money they take on other modes of transport is much more than the price of petrol, they are predicted not to do that.

Further more, diverse contributing factors can be identified in pollution and industrial enterprise occupied the most. Thus it is easy for us to find that the profit they get outdistances the range of rising price of oil.

For all of these above, from my part, increasing the price is not a wonderful way and the only way. From my perspective, I think the reason for more and more people purchase cars is inconvenient of their lives. So government should improve infrastructure, such as suburb, trolley and bus for making our lives more convenient and timely. And for those industrial companies, local authority could use new technologies to decrease their emissions. Last, but not the least important, something about environmental protection should be informed to everybody in our nation.
sandrasepp 2 / 6  
i made some improvements, i hope you like them :-)

Escalating the price of oil is a proposed solution to increasing traffic and pollution problems, but causes much debate. With the consistent improvement of our living standards, more and more people can afford cars. This leads to a growing demand and usage of oil. I believe price is not the best solution for this consumption problem.

First, raising the price of oil could undeniably decrease the number of cars on the road, especially for residents of city. But if the time and money they take on other modes of transport (what are some examples of other modes of transport?) is more than the price of petrol, people will stick to cars.

Furthermore, industrial enterprise is a leading cause of pollution. Even if we raised prices of oil, the profit industries gain from their manufactured products would not make them stop using petrol.

Increasing the price of oil is the wrong approach to combating traffic and pollution. I believe the reason more and more people purchase cars is because of the inconvenience of their lives. So government should improve infrastructure, such as the suburbs, trolleys and buses, to make our lives more convenient and timely. In addition, local authority could use new technologies to decrease the emissions of industry. Lastly, our nation should be informed of the importance of the environment and ways to conserve it.
extrafresh 13 / 32  
Hi Zhao,

I think you has made a good start already. try to expand your viewpoint with some supporting story. That could help your essay vivid for your reader.
OP Isabella_ 1 / 2  
Thanks for your reply and your advice.

but i always find i don't have adequate thesis and argument.

could you recommend some websites about that?
ajit88rai 22 / 188 3  
Hello Isabella,
- u r rite in saying that ur arguments are not very strong... lemme give u some arguments to mention:
-> firstly u can write that escalating the price of fuel will indirectly increase the price of essential commodities, increase the inflation rate, which will eventually harm the public -whether they use vehicles or not .

-> pollution control can b done by encouraging use of CNG or electric powered vehicles n making strict standards for vehicles.
-> govt n private industrial companies should also encourage use of bicycles.

try to write these points in ur essay n give a couple of examples.

good luck n cheers

QUOTE FOR U:

Watch your thoughts; they become words.

Watch your words; they become actions.

Watch your actions; they become habits.

Watch your habits; they become character.

Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

- - Frank Outlaw
OP Isabella_ 1 / 2  
Hi ARness (Ajit Rai),

Thanks for your advice, which is helpful for my essay,and i have enriched my essay.

i will do like what you told me.
There has long been a debate about whether it is a good idea to raise the price of oil so that we can control increasing traffic and pollution problems.

With the improvement of our living standard, more and more people can afford cars, what cause and this causes many questions.

From my part, price is not the nicest policy or solution for this, and in the following, I would like to present my point of view. I don't think it is enough to tell the reader (at the end of the first paragraph) that you are going to present your point of view. You also have to give a sentence that sums up the rationale. Do you know what I mean? At the end of the first paragraph, it is good to give a sentence that expresses the main idea of the essay.

For all of these above, from my part, increasing the price is not a wonderful way and not the only way. ----In this sentence, it is good to use "not" twice to make sure the meaning is clear.

:-)

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS - 'infrastructure' - How to solve growing traffic and pollution problems