Internet has brought people closer together while others think people are becoming more isolated

mina123 2 / 1  

Essay about technology

An increasing number of people are now using the internet to meet new people and socialise. Some people think this has brought people closer together while others think people are becoming more isolated. Discuss both sides and give your opinion.

It is widely acknowledged that the Internet has transformed the way that people communicate with others. Some argued that people are more likely to feel lonely, while others claimed that the internet enables individuals to connect closely. This essay will discuss both these points of view and argue in favor of the latter.

It might be claimed that the massive usage of smartphones and social media could contribute to loneliness. The main reason is people often pay attention to their mobile phones rather than engage in face-to-face interaction with a friend who sits next to them, which poses a threat to relationships in real life. According to the latest study conducted by the ministry of health in Taiwan, one-third of people suffered from mental illness, such as loneliness, because of addiction to social media.

In contrast, there are several reasons why the internet is considered beneficial to socialize. To begin with, it allows people to contact others regardless of geographical distance. That is to say, because of the development of the internet, people can easily send a message or a mail to their friends or relatives who live in different cities, or even other nations. Facebook, for example, enables users to chat or have a free call to their friends around the world, which helps to cultivate friendships. Moreover, owing to social networking, single people can simply have a date with each other and foster romantic relationships. For example, in 2019 it was reported in The New York Times that over 30% of Americans have met their partner online.

In conclusion, although it is undeniable that the internet may make people feel a sense of isolation in some ways, I believe that if people use it properly, they will develop intimate relationships and connections.
The writer should not be arguing in this essay as the writing instruction is only asking for an opinion. The difference between the two words is what will set the response accuracy score:

Argue - verb, to present reasons for or against a thing:
Opinion - noun, a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.

Do not argue when one is not asked to do so in the instruction. That is a change in discussion direction that will garner a failing TA score.

The essay does not have a clear personal opinion presented. A task 2 essay will lose points for presenting a non-defined personal opinion in the closing summary. That will be due to an incorrect response presentation format and lack of explanation development in relation to the personal opinion.

Home / Writing Feedback / Internet has brought people closer together while others think people are becoming more isolated