Should we learn about the country & the cultures and lifestyles to learn a language?

septem1821 3 / 24 7  
Q: In order to learn a language well, we should also learn about the country as well as the cultures and lifestyles of the people who speak this language. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?

Language plays an important role as it is the only way of communicating channel among people. There is a belief that people have to learn about the nation's values and the characteristics of native speakers when learning a foreign language. I completely agree with them and here are some of the supporting views.

The rich history has been transferring from generations to generations in the form of books and it is being preserved by people in the form of their traditional script. So, the past events and the values of a nation are being exemplified through its language. Indians do not work on the 2nd of October during every year in order to show the respect towards Their Father of Nation, Mahatma Gandhi Ji. If learners make fun of that day without knowing its significance, it may lead into patriotic feeling between nations. Likewise, there are many religious festivals in India which should be experienced by foreigners before learning the local languages because it will eliminate the chances of misinterpretation and misunderstandings between them and locals.

Furthermore, learners can get a chance to use language accurately and appropriately if they know the lifestyles of locals. Tourists cannot wish Indian ladies by shaking hands because it is not accepted in their customs.Likewise, foreigners' major foods contain pork and beef but these animals have religious values in Indian custom. Moreover, native speakers' accent varies because of having different dialects and nuances for them which will be understand be having a deep insight into their way of lifestyles. Lastly, non-native speakers language skills also depends on the climatic conditions of the local area because it has some effect on tongue twist.

To summarize, I can say that country history and the lifestyles are crucial factors in learning a language because they direct the learner in a precise way so that they can learn it in an organised way.

please correct it.
Thanks.
gmad06 20 / 151 55  
I think you are talking too often about culture in your essay. You should mention about how learning both aspects, culture and lifestyle of a native speaker, can help in studying a language. Writing about each in separate paragraphs would also be an optimum way of doing it.

hope this helps...
yumandragore 3 / 12 4  
I think you should write a less "predictable" answer to the prompt. Everyone who agrees with the prompt will write about the exact same aspects of learning a language and the culture behind it, only phrased a little differently. Include a little anecdote if you have traveled somewhere and realized things that can support your opinion.
OP septem1821 3 / 24 7  
thanks so much. i will rewrite it . could you correct any grammatical errors in this essay.

Thanks
Language plays an important role

Tellimportant role of what!

Language plays an important role as it is the only way of communicating channel among people

....actually, language is not the only way for expressing ourselves. People talk through gestures, rather body language. However, it is best communication channel;
Language plays an important role of communication and itis the best way to express our thoghts and fellings in more detail and precise manner.
ramshah 11 / 27 5  
I think you should also work on your word count.
huyentrang 2 / 9 2  
i think you should express that understanding culture can help you use this language more exact. You talk about culture too much.
hope these can heelp you

Home / Writing Feedback / Should we learn about the country & the cultures and lifestyles to learn a language?