Are libraries necessary? IELTS 2: OPINION ESSAY

Emmadafish 1 / -  
Topic: Students today can easily access information online, so libraries are no longer necessary. Do you agree or disagree?

With the advent of technology, students in the contemporary world can easily access any information on various online platforms, leading to many advocates assume that there are no longer reasonable excuses to visit traditional libraries. In my opinion, I completely disagree with this assertion because some information is not available online and it might not be authentic.

Despite plenty of sources of information that can be found on the Internet, there is some information that can solely looked up in the library. The library usually contains ancient books that have existed for a long period and those books are written by authentic authors; hence, it is impossible to find those types of books online. For example, university libraries can provide students with documents from alumni or from their professors, which sometimes cannot be seen on any online platform. In addition, there are some cases in which online information is only capable of giving Internet users basic information, which means that if we want to learn more about it, we need to go to the library to access a huge source of its information.

Another point to make is that online information is not always qualified. It is difficult to identify the original version due to online piracy, which can make students confused when they search for the information they want. Additionally, since there is a lot of information, choosing which information is true and which one is false can cause a real struggle. For instance, some students use false information they found randomly on the Internet for their presentation and get a low score as a result.

In conclusion, online information cannot be an optimal substitute for traditional libraries because not all information can be searched on the Internet and that information might be false.
The prompt restatement is only partially correct. It deviated from the original discussion when it said "there are no longer reasons to visit traditional libraries". The original prompt indicated that the discussion is about "libraries are no longer necessary." Even though the prompt deviation on the part of the writer is slight, it still altered the focus of the discussion 100%, making it an inaccurate restatement. The writer's opinion also uses a measured response when it is not necessary to do so as the writing guide was a simple agree or disagree question. These errors will be enough to make the essay receive a failing preliminary TA score. It is not an accurate depiction of the original prompt.

Home / Writing Feedback / Are libraries necessary? IELTS 2: OPINION ESSAY