Libraries are not just a collection of books: Are public libraries important?

iris1 1 / 1  
Help me develop this essay, please!
This is the question:
in your opinion, what roles does the public library play in your community, and how important is the library in relation to the other concerns of the community?

the special places

Here is what i have and i need to develop this essay up to 400 words

Libraries are not only a collection of books but also various storage media which includes CDs, cassettes, video tapes, DVDs, and Internet. Libraries are special places where people can come to enjoy reading, or they can borrow the books to take home for free. It is a nice service that is for people who can not afford to purchase books themselves.

Nowadays, modern libraries are places that people can access information in different forms and from many sources. In addition to providing materials, libraries also provide help services to their users to search and interpret information.

Recently, libraries face significant budget cuts. This can be a devastating loss for many people who love to attend libraries regularly. Libraries are entertaining places not only for adults but also for kids. Especially in the summer, when they don't go to school, kids find libraries to be important areas that they can enjoy and improve their knowledge and entertain themselves by reading many stories. If the libraries are closed down, where can they go to enjoy themselves daily? Many people won't get to read regularly because they can't afford to purchase books all the time. Many people who love to read now will lose their opportunities...

Recent study shows that more than half of Americans had visited a library in the past year. Most of them are young people
what roles does the public library play in your community

Start by answering this question. Then, elaborate on your answer through the various points you have made. At the moment, you spend too much time saying what libraries are (which the reader probably already knows) and not enough answering the prompt. You sort of hint at an answer, when you say that libraries provide services and access to information, but you need to go beyond that, and explain why those services and that access are important to the community.
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
Right, the question is not what roles libraries play in general but what roles public libraries play in your community. If you don't know, you might have to do a little research, by going to your local public library's website (or even -- gasp -- getting offline and out of your chair to visit) and checking out what kinds of programs and events are there. Do they have computers that low-income people can use? Read-along groups for children? Do community groups use the meeting spaces?

The more I think about it, the more I believe a visit is in order. Walk around, noting not only what special collections are available but also who is using the library. What does the place feel like on a Saturday afternoon, a Wednesday morning, or a Thursday evening?

Use these impressions when you write your essay. Start with a vivid description of the library in use, then say three specific ways the library contributes to the community.

If, instead, you elect with the content you have, here are a couple of grammatical fixes:

Libraries house collections of books as well as various storage media such as CDs, cassettes, video tapes, DVDs, and Internet.

The way you had worded that sentence, you were saying that libraries are CDs, DVDs, etc.

At present , many public libraries face significant budget cuts.

The way you had worded that sentence, your verb tense conflicted with your prefacing phrase. "Recently" means in the recent past. "Face" is a present tense verb.
getting offline and out of your chair to visit

People still do this? I thought going off-line would result in a horrible death by some form of suffocation. :-)

Home / Writing Feedback / Libraries are not just a collection of books: Are public libraries important?