[WRITING TASK 2] To meet the growing need for food to support an increasing population

DoggoZ 1 / -  
To meet the growing need for food to support an increasing population, a country should make use of edible insects as a food source.
However, some people believe that insects are not only unhealthy but harvesting them will also negatively affect nature.

What are the benefits and drawbacks of eating insects?

Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.

You should write at least 250 words.

ANSWER:

The global population's increasing food needs have sparked discussions about incorporating edible insects into our diets as a sustainable solution. However, concerns persist regarding the health implications and potential harm to the environment. This essay explores the merits and demerits of embracing insects as a food source.

One major advantage of consuming insects is their exceptional nutritional value. They are rich in protein, vitamins, and minerals, making them a nutritious alternative to conventional meat sources. For instance, crickets rival traditional livestock in protein content while being more resource-efficient to raise. This nutritional density could be a boon, particularly in areas grappling with malnutrition, offering a cost-effective means to diversify diets.

Moreover, insect farming requires significantly less land, water, and feed compared to traditional livestock agriculture. This eco-friendly aspect reduces the strain on natural resources and diminishes greenhouse gas emissions tied to conventional farming methods. By incorporating insects into our food supply, countries can contribute to sustainable agricultural practices and mitigate environmental degradation.

However, there are valid concerns associated with insect consumption. Some argue that insects may carry diseases or contaminants.

In conclusion, edible insects offer a promising solution to the global food crisis, thanks to their nutritional richness and minimal environmental footprint. However, it is crucial to address health and environmental concerns to unlock their full potential. Through regulation, education, and sustainable practices, edible insects can emerge as a valuable and sustainable addition to our diets, supporting both our nutritional needs and environmental goals.
The essay will receive a failing score. You have not properly developed the discussion presentation when it comes to the merits and demerits of eating insects. You cannot have a 2 sentence reference in the last reasoning paragraph. You must always write at least 3 sentences, or a maximum of 5 sentences. That is because you need to justify the opinion or evidence you are presenting to the reader. As such, the second reasoning paragraph in this presentation is not convincing since you did not even put any effort into trying to explain the opinion for that paragraph. The examiner will acknowledge this as lazy work and give the essay a failing score because of it.

Home / Writing Feedback / [WRITING TASK 2] To meet the growing need for food to support an increasing population