TOEFL; Objective of attending school

rosh 3 / 6  
QUESTION; People attend school for many different reasons (for example, expanded knowledge, societal awareness, and enhanced interpersonal relationships). Why do you think people decide to go to school? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

Schools are the institutions that operate with the motive of providing education to the students. Education generally means that acquiring knowledge, developing powers of reasoning and judgment and preparing a person intellectually for mature life. In my personal view, these are the main reasons why a person wishes to attend school. However, there are many other benefits that one can derive from, by attending school.

To begin with, the schools help one to acquire knowledge. In the first place, they employ teachers, who are specialists in particular subjects, to deliver the knowledge required by the students. The provision of assistance given by the teachers is one of the most attractive features in schools, that helps guide a student in the right path as he progress with acquiring knowledge. The teachers have the capability to arouse the student's interest in the subject and find solutions for his or her difficulties in the learning process. For example, I was never keen in learning science when I was in secondary level. However it was my new science teacher who made this subject interesting to me. He gave me his special attention to help improve my scores, which I finally manged to improve.

In addition, schools also build the environment for the students to develop their ability of reasoning and judgment. The facilities such as laboratories, libraries, auditoriums are meant to help students in this aspect. For example, a student may learn about the reason for a chemical reaction in the class room. However, he will be convinced about this theory only when he practically experiences it from the experiment conducted in the laboratory. The libraries too help students to broaden their perspectives on various subjects that help enhance their powers of reasoning and judgment. Finally, all these facilities together with the assistance of the teachers would help students to be intellectually matured and produce useful citizens to their societies.

More over, schools provide many other benefits as well, such as financial benefits, enhanced societal knowledge and useful networking opportunities. If one tries to obtain every thing that school provides outside the school, then it would be a very costly exercise. For example, in my country, the private tuition fees are very expensive and generally about five times more than the charges of schools. On the other hand, school is one of the best places for one to develop his or her societal knowledge and networking opportunities with others that would help this person immensely in his future endeavors. For example, it is one of my schoolmates who helped me to get my current job. And also I do not have any difficulty in interacting with people in my workplace who come from diverse backgrounds because I was exposed to such backgrounds during school days.

In my conclusion, I would like to assert that people attend school primarily for the purposes of acquiring knowledge, developing their powers of reasoning and judgment and becoming intellectually mature. However, a person would also be benefitted by financial savings, enhancement of societal awareness and networking opportunities even if they may not be the primary objectives of this person in making his or her decision to attend school.
mea505 - / 265  
However, there are many other benefits that one can derive from, by attending school.
--> Try this: However, there are many other benefits that can be appreciated by attending school.
--> Why don't you choose to enumerate some of these other benefits as well?

The facilities such as laboratories, libraries, auditoriums are meant to help students in this aspect. For example, a student may learn about the reason for a chemical reaction in the class room. However, he will be convinced about this theory only when he practically experiences it from the experiment conducted in the laboratory.

--> I especially like these sentences! They tend to show the differences between learning from the books and learning by experiencing things. Good Job!

On the other hand, school is one of the best places for one to develop his or her societal knowledge and networking opportunities with others that would help this person immensely in his future endeavors

--> Another excellent sentence.

--> How many revisions have you gone through so far in writing this essay? I would want to guess that this is only the first time you chose to write this essay. Is that right? If it is, you might want to re-write it at least two more times...you will be surprised that each time you write it, the essay will become more and more clear! Try it! Then, re-post it on the forum for the rest of us to read again. Good writing!

--Mark :)
fordragon 5 / 16  
Your essay is great in structure and grammar, but I think you can try to use synonyms to replace some frequently used words and phrases, such as PROVIDE and FOR EXAMPLE.

Good Luck :)
OP rosh 3 / 6  
Thanks Mark and Do.
It was my first attempt. However it took 39 minutes altogether. (Writing and refining) I am pracitsing for toefl which means I have to finish within 30 mins. I'll rewrite this and repost for your comments.

Thanks

Home / Writing Feedback / TOEFL; Objective of attending school