Olympic Games- Some people think it has positive effects while others argue it is a waste of money

cherryblossom 6 / 11 3  

Holding Olympic Games is an exciting event.

Some people think it has positive effects while others argue it is a waste of money. Discuss both sides and give your own opinion.

Olympic Games is an international sports event which attracts a great amount of interest. While it is said by some that this occasion has merits, others claim that such one does nothing useful other than wiping out a huge sum of money. In my opinion, despite its possible advantages, this practice is truly an extravagance.

On the one hand, it is understandable why many people say such an event may exert positive impacts. Firstly, it provides the chance for professional athletes to prove themselves. Usually, the participants have to apply themselves to harsh training courses for the Olympics Games, the biggest competition on the planet. In return, they can bring honour to themselves and their country, making those hardworking years pay off. Secondly, this sports event can greatly promote physical activities. Matches of different types of sports are aired on television each time it takes place, which embeds an idea of how popular they are on an international scale. People, as a result, may be drawn to the high spirit prevalent all around the world and pay sporting more attention.

However, others argue that the huge cost this event inflicts for the short period of time it is held is virtually pointless. During the preparation, modern sports facilities may have to be erected which use up an enormous amount of the national budget. Many of them, however, fall into disuse after the event, generating no revenue and even requiring upkeep to maintain their conditions. Consequently, they become a drain on the economy and even leave the country in debt. Given how those colossal investments in Olympics can be used for other rational purposes like education or healthcare, I agree that an event like this is a waste of money. Besides, local sporting events also can cultivate people's sporty behaviours, obviously with a lower level of investment. Accordingly, there is no need for more extravagant Olympics Games.

In conclusion, despite some benefits this international event might have, my view is that this practice should not be kept going in the future since the cost of it is basically unbearable and of little avail.
I have constantly cautioned the students about opening the prompt restatement with an unrelated piece of information. In this case, the reference to interest in the games. There is no need to change the opening sentence target because it is not included in the original presentation. The prompt restatement is looking for information accuracy. That means, if the information is not included or referenced in the original prompt, it should not be placed in the restatement. In this case, I have repeatedly reminded this writer not to do this and yet, it is a constantly repeated error in every presentation made. There are no improvements to be found in the prompt restatement + opinion paragraph.

The presentation is not properly developed in terms of reasoning. There was no need to use a comparative format for this discussion because the instruction clearly asks for the writer's opinion. That means the writer is required to present 2 supporting reasons in individual, fully developed paragraphs. Since the preentation uses a compare and contrast format, the writer will only receive a score for the paragraph that supports the provided opinion. The non supporting paragraph will not receive scoring considerations.

Home / Writing Feedback / Olympic Games- Some people think it has positive effects while others argue it is a waste of money