Home / Writing Feedback % width Posts: 3

IELTS Writing Task 2 - Opinion Essay on Free University Education

phatpham332 1 / 3 1  

University education should be free to everyone, regardless of income.

To what extent do you agree or disagree?

It is sometimes argued that all students should be provided with free higher education. I completely disagree with this idea, because I believe that it does not tackle the root of the financial problem students face but could lead to undesirable outcomes.

In my opinion, only deregulating tuition fees would not solve any problems of the financial burden on young people. The argument in favour of free university is often that it should increase access to higher education for students from disadvantaged backgrounds. However, I believe this to be a very shortsighted view, as it usually does not cover other significant expenses that matter for them. For example, the idea of free education simply not address the rising cost of living including accommodation, food, transportation, and other necessities. Thus, poor families may still not afford to send their children to university, even if they are not charged any tuition fees.

At the same time, I would argue that a free higher education system could cause unnecessary difficulties. Firstly, such a system would cost governments billions of dollars, which often means they have to raise taxes to make up for that loss. However, it is clearly unfair to impose this burden on taxpayers as they do not profit much from the education of others. Secondly, I also doubt that job markets can absorb the overwhelming number of graduates in every field that a free-education system may supply. Currently, many countries are struggling to address the high unemployment rate of those with a university degree, and free universities will only aggravate the situation.

In conclusion, while free higher education might seem like a good idea, I believe that such a system would be unworkable and largely pointless. (285 words)
should be provided with free higher education.

You forgot to restate the portion of the original prompt indicating that this belief is regardless of income. Your prompt restatement Is partially incomplete in this case. Regardless of this missed paraphrase, you still did an excellent jobin presenting your response and thisis statement. The basis of your measured opinion is very clear to the examiner. Expect a good TA score because of this. You somewhat successfully represented the TA requirements. Good job!

The first sentence of the fist reasoning paragraph was a bit confusing to read. However, your succeeding explanations clarified its meaning. so the GRA reduction forthat paragraph should be minimal. In totality, the reasoning paragraphs are well supported and connected in terms of discussion which are pluses for your C+C score. The only somewhat notable problem I sel is in the reverse paraphrase /summary conclusion. The introductory sentence should have been supported by a summarized reasoning presentation as required by this section. Otherwise, you did a highly acceptable job in relation to the task.
OP phatpham332 1 / 3 1  
Merged:

Some say that students with any social backgrounds should be provided with free higher education

Opinion Essay on Free University Education (ielts 2)

UNIVERSITY EDUCATION SHOULD BE FREE TO EVERYONE, REGARDLESS OF INCOME.

It is often said that all students with any social backgrounds should be provided with free higher education. I completely agree with this idea, because it would improve access to university for disadvantaged students and further eradicate poverty in society.

In the short term, a free higher education system would increase access to university for many students. In my opinion, it is only fair if the brightest students are able to study at the most intellectually demanding institutions, irrespective of socioeconomic background. However, with high tuition fees and a rise in the cost of living that many of those from low-income families could not afford to pay for, they may be discouraged from attending university. Abolishing tuition fees therefore would make university life more affordable and motivate disadvantaged students to continue their education. This would in turn allow universal access to higher education and provide all people with the same education opportunities.

In the long term, I would argue that abolishing tuition fees is a practical way to reduce poverty. As mentioned above, free universities would ensure equality of opportunity for all, which means low-income students can have the qualifications they need to survive in today's competitive job market. For example, professional disciplines in healthcare, marketing, and software engineering now require many relevant degrees. These careers also offer high salaries and strong job growth potential that will allow young people to lift themselves and their families out of poverty. Currently, many countries are struggling to address the high rates of impoverishment, and increased access to higher education through tuition-free policies is surely an effective solution.

In conclusion, I believe that the abolition of tuition fees is necessary to make universities accessible to even the poor and further reduce poverty in many countries. (292 words)

P/s: This is another opposite version of my previous essay, as I want to challenge myself, so hopefully there is some improvement.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS Writing Task 2 - Opinion Essay on Free University Education