Home / Writing Feedback % width   Posts: 5

IELTS Writing task 2:People becoming interested in the history of the house or building they live in

Belinda0807 1 / -  
In some countries, more people are becoming interested in finding out about the history of the house or building they live in.
What are the reasons for this? How can people research this question?

Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.
-----------------------------------------
Recently, there has been a growing trend among residents in a few countries, who are eager to dig deeper into the historical background of their home. Some main reasons associated with this rising interest may be due to one's curiosity and desire to find out about the quality of their home or bad reputation if it had one. The ways that one can do research are varied.

On the one hand, there can be two reasons that motivate people to investigate the history of the place they live. First is to satisfy their own curiosity about past story of the place. Investigating paranormal events, finding haunted or valuable properties, or just checking whether some ancient architectural details still remain may be one of the reasons. Second, some people may wish to assess the quality of the construction in order to detect any types of possible vulnerability and prevent damages in advance. To be more precise, people examine the conditions of their home to know how resistant it is in case of a fire, typhoon, or earthquake, so that they plan for future upgrades or renovations. In addition, uncovering any history of possible criminal activities associated with the place could influence their decision to stay or invest further in the property.

On the other hand, there are three methods for individuals to gather information about the historical background of a building. The most reliable way is to submit a request for official records to the local government. Another interesting option is to set up interviews with the senior residents or neighbors in general. Lastly, people can do online research, where the sources are searchable and often provide a wide range of related information.

In conclusion, curiosity and the need to find out about structural quality may have arisen people's interest in investigating the historical background of their home. They can collect information by checking official documents, setting up interviews or looking it up on the internet.

Holt  Educational Consultant - / 15252  
The task 2 essay has a 300 word limit due to the 40 minute writing deadline. Aim to present that number number next time. That is to help ensure that you will be able to finish drafting, editing, and finalizing the content of the essay prior to the time limit. You can achieve that by not over discussing the essay and needlessly extending the discussion just so you can use more English vocabulary. That is how most students end up failing the test.

You did a good job in the restatement but only partially covered the thesis statement requirements of the writer's opinion. You should have been clear about the type of research that you would recommend or be discussing in the remaining paragraphs.

In addition,

This part should not have been included anymore in the 1st reasoning paragraph since it was not fully developed in the same manner as the other 2 reasons that were previously presented in the same paragraph.

On the other hand

On the one hand

This comparison method cannot be used in this discussion because you are not comparing related discussion points. This is not the proper transition phrase set to be used. Use an anchor topic instead next time since you are discussing a different topic in this paragraph that is unrelated to the first one.
halinhislearning 3 / 4  
@Belinda0807
Hi, I think that your essay will be improved by mentioning some houses with wonderful history or remarkable changes.
Lapis 2 / 2  
I think the problem here is that the passage 1 and 2 is not symetrical. You should balance your idea between 2 passage
Helen335 4 / 7  
In the sentence 'First is to satisfy their own curiosity about past story of the place,' consider rephrasing it to 'First, it is to satisfy their own curiosity about the past history of the place.' This will improve clarity and grammatical accuracy. Additionally, in the conclusion, you might want to emphasize how understanding a property's history can enhance one's connection to their home.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS Writing task 2:People becoming interested in the history of the house or building they live in
Need professional help with your assignments? Fill out one of these forms: