People buy a range of household goods ( positive or negative development? )

alice05 4 / 8 3  
In many countries today, people buy a range of household goods (television, microwave, oven and rice cookers).

Is it positive or negative development?

It is a norm for families these days to equip their houses with a variety of household electrical appliances. In my opinion, both merits and downsides can be seen in such a tendency, however, I would argue that the drawbacks outweigh the benefits significantly.

The fact that people direct their concerns towards household products is emblematic of a rise in living standard. Those appliances are virtually indispensable to families as it not only saves a great amount of time regarding domestic work but also plays a wider role in the mental life as well. For example, the Vietnamese traditional Tet holiday has food as the fundamental part and during this Lunar New Year celebration, people, especially women used to be in the tremendous and time-consuming business of preparing dishes peculiar to the festival. With the help of kitchen appliances, however, this work no longer occupies so much time as it took. Seen from the psychological perspective, this increases the time for other activities, such as a leisurely meal, which make life seem much easier. Furthermore, digital household goods like a television also contribute significantly as entertainers after a heavy day at work. In effect, turning on the set has been an easy option on rainy days and a decent way to bring the family together with a good show.

Despite the positives mentioned above, there are a couple of reasons that turn the activity of purchasing a wide range of household appliances into an overall negative one. Firstly, the usage of those devices certainly increases the electric demand around the world and in order to meet this surge in need, power plants will be erected more and more. This results in the exploitation of land resources as well as others like coal to operate and generate the gargantuan amount of electricity consumed in each household. Secondly, electrical machines and devices usually go unfashionable very soon as new versions come out. As a result, a throw-away society is formed with many adverse consequences to the environment, including the increasingly growing mountain of electronic waste. This type of waste is linked to serious health problems due to toxic chemicals released into the land and water or the air when exposed to heat.

In conclusion, while I agree with the sort of entertainment and convenience electrical appliances bring about, I strongly believe that it is a detrimental trend considering the environmental impacts.
Always remember to use a timer when doing the practice test. That way an accurate assessment of written word abilities can be made by the writer. The word count is an important consideration often overlooked by exam takers as they neglect to edit and proofread their draft to enhance its potential final score. 399 words are unnecessary is a simple explanatory writing task such as this. Most specially when the opinion clarity and discussion format requirements were not met by the writer.

The writer's opinion requirement is not comparative in nature. The instruction provides for a single opinion justification. It is important to learn how to analyze the prompt for opinion requirements. Where a clear compare and contrast instruction is not found, focus on a single opinion presentation.

In this case the writer focused on proving both sides to be correct even as this discussion format ran opposite to his actual opinion. Therefore, the task discussion expectation was not met.

There is no clear defensible opinion present in the essay. It has failed to properly discuss the topic based on the given instruction.
Minhhh2005 3 / 6  
There is a slight inconsistency here. You stated in the introduction paragraph that "the drawbacks significantly outweigh the benefits." However, in Body 1, you wrote about the positive impact, whereas in Body 2, you wrote about the negative impact. It is possible that the task achievement score is low.

Home / Writing Feedback / People buy a range of household goods ( positive or negative development? )