IELTS Writing Task 2 - Nowadays many people choose to be self-employed

mohanta12 1 / -  

self employment

Nowadays many people choose to be self-employed, rather than to work for a company or organisation. Why might this be the case? What could be the disadvantages of being self-employed?

Answer:
The structure of employment is being changed with the expansion of population. Indeed, rather than working for a company or organization, many people are going for self-employment. This essay will discuss about the reasons behind this, including reduced number of jobs and flexibility in working in own environment, and the disadvantages of the decision.

Self-employment gives an individual the maximum flexibility possible in professional life. A typical employee has to take permission from his boss to take a leave, while a self-employed person can take it anytime because he is the boss of his workplace. This opportunity enables a self-employed person lead his life flexibly, resulting in increased efficiency and peace of mind for him. Meanwhile, he does not have to take stress about job availability, although it has become an alarming issue. Since a self-employed person can start working alone for himself, reduction of job circular will not make him worried.

However, working alone comes with two major disadvantages. First of all, it has some potential risk of losing investment. While working for a company, a employee gets his salary on a regular basis and he doesn't have to invest anything for that, except time. Any loss of the company will be taken care by the share holders. But in case of self-employment, one has to invest some money to grow his business. While it brings an opportunity to get revenue, it also brings some risk. He has to bear the loss if anything goes wrong. Moreover, too much self-employemnt brings greater competition in the market. When there are too many people in the market providing similar services, it becomes difficult for the providers to keep a hold of customers.

To conclude, people are choosing self-employment nowadays because it reduces stress about the job market and brings flexibilty in life. It also comes with potential risk and competition in the market which one has to be careful of.
Keep your personal opinion to yourself. Do not use it as the introduction to the topic in the prompt restatement. The prompt restatement is altered when compared to the original when you do that. The representation no longer carries the correct information output as the you have indicated information not linked to the original idea. It is also important for the TA score, that is based on the clear opinion of the writer, that you respond directly to the questions provided. The direct responses help meet the task accuracy requirement and allows the examiner to judge how well you understood the discussion requirements. They do not give scores for merely repeating the questions in the form of a direct statement. This current statement has adhered to the discussion instructions only once out of the expected response forms.

The discussion format is also incorrect as the writer strayed from the discussion focus which is the disadvantages of being self-employed. As referenced in the relevant paragraph, he had 2 reasons to discuss as the disadvantage. These should have been thoroughly discussed over 2 relevant paragraphs. There was no need to discuss the advantage. That irrelevant presentation needlessly lengthened the presentation. A futile exercise since it will not be scored and the irrelevant paragraph word count will be deducted from the overall word count. Falling under the 250 minimum count will result in percentage deductions.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS Writing Task 2 - Nowadays many people choose to be self-employed