Some people say that advertising is extremely successfull at persuading us

Matt1313 4 / 7  

the effectiveness of advertisement

Marketing and advertising are the backbones of the modern capitalist economy. This has led to a debate where one side thinks advertisements are greatly effective in influencing our purchases, while the other party believes that they have become redundant to an extent that they no longer attract our attention.

On the one hand, some believe that advertising are enormously successful at motivating us to buy what they advertise. They explain this by saying that if marketing wasn't successful, large international companies would not spend billions of dollars on it every year. Apple, for example, spent around 33% of its budget last year on advertising. Thus, such huge and successful corporations would not waste this much money if it wasn't effective.

On the other hand, there are others 3ho believe advertisements to have become boring and no longer affect us. They further their point by stating that adverts have become so abundant that they have lost their creative touch, which has caused them to become repetitive and uninteresting. Due to this, they no longer influence our purchasing habits. A famous company called Oppo, for instance has completely removed marketing department, stating that it is a waste of money and the less they spend on ads, the more they can spend on meaningful things such as quality improvement.

Personally, I think advertising is certainly effective even if it has become common. This is because ads work on our thoughts on a subconscious level and influence our choices without us knowing. In other words, bill boards and TV ads, which we see everyday, are implanted into our memory and unknowingly become more familiar to us. A study done in 2016 stated that we are likely to buy a brand that is advertised even if its of a lower quality, plainly due to the fact that its more familiar. Hence, marketing affects us even if we don't know it.

In conclusion, although some believe advertisement are very successful at what they are built for, other think they have become boring and too common. Personally, I believe that despite becoming significantly abundant they still are extremely effective.
The prompt restatement should never include a personal opinion or statement of fact that is not part of the ouginal ffocus. Inclusions such as the first sentence in the first paragraph will result in accuracy deductions. Such declarations are only acceptable as a part of the establishing sentence of the writers opinion. The incorrect sentence placement had a negative effect on the sectional score. That said, a proper presentation of the relevant topics and writers opinion are present which offset the applied deductions a bit.

A study done in 2016

By whom ? Refer to a source since you are allowed to makeup information anyway. The lack of reference weakened the strength of the explanation.

The writer has a spelling error present that should have been seen and corrected during the editing process. It shows a lack of interest in the quality of writing on the part of the writer. His collective existing mistakes show that he does not care about point deductions that may affect his final score.
OP Matt1313 4 / 7  
Thank you for the detailed response but would it score 7 or above in the ielts exam?

Home / Writing Feedback / Some people say that advertising is extremely successfull at persuading us