IELTS: some people think the government should spend more money on science than art. Do you agree ?

sky1997 2 / 1  
After 20th century, science has become an important role in modern society. Many stubborn diseases such as heart disease, diabetes even the cancer can be cured. Consequently, some people think the government should allocate more funds to science than art. Personally, I do not think science is more essential than art, they are in an equality position.

Indeed, science is important to our society and is worth being invested. We have had great changes in all aspects of our life with development of science. GM crop is a good example. For some crops, it is not cost-effective to remove weeds by physical means such as tilling, so farmers will often spray large quantities of different herbicides to destroy weeds but they will cause damage to the soil while GM crop can resistant to one very powerful herbicide to help prevent environmental damage by reducing the amount of herbicides needed. If scientists do not have adequate budget, they would not develop such a convenient approach. Therefore, dedicating money to science is a delicious idea.

However, science and art cannot be divided. Science without art is the body without the soul. Hence, it is reasonable to allot funds to art. Art helps us to think about big issues such as climate change that are rooted in science. Moreover, in the era of "information overload" where scientists analyze billions of events thrown up by natural or social phenomena, one of the only ways of understanding it is through visualization. There is enormous potential here for contributions from artists if only we would let them.

Except from contributes to science, art is also beneficial to the relationship of the world. For example, music can better reach people on a large scale, thus it can help to promote a global awareness such as Earth Concert, which is held on all continents at the same time. The concert called on every human being to join the protection of our environment. These are some importance of art in our life, to name but two.

To sum up, although science plays an important social role, art cannot be ignored. Einstein has said "The greatest scientists are artists as well". Only both of them are advanced can our country becomes more prosperous.
SHanafi 120 / 415 93  
Many stubborn diseases such as heart disease, diabetes even the cancer can be cured.

As far your prompt just state about science and art , it is better that you focus on them.

This is actually an example. You should have examples contained in the introduction. Introduction is meant for introducing your topic. The examples should move into your body paras.

However, science and art cannot be divided. Science without art is the body without the soul.

.... impressive writing :)

You have excellent writing skills. Pay attention to your essay approach. Include more specific examples in the body paras. You can easily aim at a real good score :)
eddies [Contributor] 25 / 1,208 476  
amount of herbicides

(the) amount of is followed by uncountable noun
(the) number of followed by plural noun

delicious idea

excellent idea

in the era of "information overload" wherewhich scientists

Einstein has said "The greatest scientists are artists as well"

Using the exact words of another person by enclosing them in quotation mark is also categorized in memorized language. You may get penalized in IELTS.

I think this is much more better if you say this idea in another way. (paraphrasing it)

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS: some people think the government should spend more money on science than art. Do you agree ?