The percentages of the access to technology devices in the UK household from 1996 to 2003

Leakhena Bun 1 / -  

the changing patterns of domestic access to modern technology

The line graph illustrates the percentages of the access to technology devices in the UK household from 1996 to 2003.

Overall, the CD player was by far the most accessible device throughout the period, while Internet usage started a little late but increased considerably towards the end of the timeframe. Computer access was higher than mobile phones for four years, but the latter overtook the former largely in the mid of 1999.

At the beginning of the period, 60% of the British had the access to CD players, the most popular technology device, and it rose consistently to just over 80% by the end of the year. While the other three devices started in 1996, the Internet was just introduced in 1998, and there was only 10% of the population used it; however, about 43% of the UK residents had the Internet in their homes in 2003.

Computer use at homes began the period with nearly 30% which was about 10% more than the mobile phone. Both of these technology appliances increased dramatically throughout the years, but the percentage of mobile phone users surpassed the home computer from the mid of 1999 to the end of the year, with the percentages of 70% and 56% respectively in 2003.
What the writer provided was not a trending statement but a comparative statement. A trend is a prevailing tendency that can be gleaned from a measurement provided. It is a singular statement that shows the high and low of a particular segment. In this case, the writer should have focused on delivering the highest point at the start, and the highest point at the end of the period, even if the product category changes. A trend may also show a replacement of an item over time. It is not a comparison of how well the products did or did not do over a certain period. That comparison should be done as a part of the report. A proper trend is normally presented as a single sentence that properly combines 2 measurements into one presentation.

Home / Writing Feedback / The percentages of the access to technology devices in the UK household from 1996 to 2003