Writing Task 1: The pie chart; People living in poverty in the UK

Kalyn17992 9 / 19 1  
The pie chart below shows the proportion of different categories of families living in poverty in the UK in 2002.
Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.
Write at least 150 words.
Proportion of people from each household type living in poverty

The pie chart illustrates the percentage of various types of families lived in poor conditions in Britain in 2002. In general, it is clearly seen that the most popular categories are single people.

It is apparent from the information supplied that sole parents was by far the highest proportion of 26 percent among all the given categories whereas couples with children accounted for a slightly lower 15 percent.

Single people with children made up a large percentage which is the second highest overall. In contrast, a mere 9 percent of the couples without any children suffered from poverty in 2002.

In terms of aged people, both singles and couples had roughly equal proportions in conditions of poverty: only 7 and 5 percent respectively.
Apart from couple and single people, there was 14 percent being lived in the entire households in the UK at that time.
Overall, sole parents constituted the highest percentage of families living in poverty in the UK in 2002.
(162 words)

There are three basic things you need to structure an IELTS writing task 1.
1. Introduce the graph ( The pie chart illustrates the percentage of various types of families lived in poor conditions in Britain in 2002 ) - this is it and now move on to next para;

2. Give an overview
3. Give the detail
Traveler 6 / 14 2  
The pie chart illustrates the percentage of various types of families lived in poor conditions in Britain in 2002.

The pie chart illustrates the percentage of British people living in poverty in 2002 classified by family type.
The pie chart provides information about the poverty rate among six(?) types of families in the UK in 2002.

Try to use official cambridge past papers to practice (the chart you've posted is actually a table, see the attached image), in this way you should have more possibility to compare your own work.

Hope this helps

MisterWandering 18 / 321 130  
It is apparent from the information supplied that

This part is not necessary.

was took up by far the highest proportion

made up a large percentage which is the second highest proportion overall

In general, it is clearly seen that the most popular categories are single people.

,

Overall, sole parents constituted the highest percentage of families living in poverty in the UK in 2002

It would be better if you could form an overview paragraph from these two sentences.
OP Kalyn17992 9 / 19 1  
thank you so much :)

Home / Writing Feedback / Writing Task 1: The pie chart; People living in poverty in the UK