TOEFL: HOW TO BE A QUALIFIED CO-WORKER?

Xiaokai Jin 11 / 23 5  
Thank you for your time! Please give me some advice!
23. We all work or will work in our jobs with many different kinds of people. In your opinion, what are some important characteristics of a co-worker (someone you work closely with)? Use reasons and specific examples to explain why these characteristics are important.

With the development of the civilization of human society, it is no doubt that globalization will become an inevitable trend. Many people with different education background and various cultures have to work together in a multi-national company in order to improve the competitiveness and quality of their service and products. So there comes a problem that what are some important characteristics of a co-worker. In my point of view, I concede that there are three crucial elements representing themselves on a co-worker. They are communication skills, analogous ideology and enthusiasm about his/her job.

To begin with, to be a good co-worker, it is necessary for him/her to have a good command of communication skills so that potential misunderstandings and conflicts can be avoided in the first place. To illustrate, suppose someone and his/her co-worker have some different arguments over a problem, they will probably end up with a fight for both of them lack wise communication skills. In that case, the relationship between them will strain and become uncomfortable, which will lead to a more unharmonious working atmosphere. However, if both of them know how to handle these kinds of things wittily and smoothly, the bad outcome mentioned above will never happen.

What's more, analogous ideology is another indispensable factor to be a good co-worker. For instance, considering someone likes to finish his/her task as soon as possible but with lower quality and his/her co-worker is fond of dealing with tasks in a slower pace but with a high quality, their disparate characteristics will result in inefficiency and low willingness to work.

Last but not least, having an enthusiasm about his/her job will be the last significant factor that I claim is highly important on a co-worker. Think about it. As long as someone and his/her co-worker have a deep love in what they are doing and are always energetic about their job, they are halfway successful. They will work around the clock and devote themselves to their task set up by their manager due to their enthusiasm and aggressiveness.

To sum up, to be a good co-worker doesn't necessarily mean that to be the same person who he/she is working together. The most important essence of being a good co-worker is to realize how to cooperate with his/her working partner to finish their task well. Without appropriate communication skills, analogous ideology and enthusiasm about job, it is impossible for someone to a qualified co-worker because they aren't aware of the importance of team spirit or cooperation spirit. So, if you want to be a good co-worker, here's some tips for you, think yourselves less and try to understand your partner's idea from his angle. Then, I believe that you will have a wonderful time in working with your working partner.
hi
I guess you are preparing for IELTS or TOEFL. If so you need to be very mindful about time management because time has a major bearing on such writing task. In that case, your essay looks abit more lengthy. If you can handle time, then no issue. :)
amorphous1 - / 15 3  
Great essay! I particularly like your conclusion. Only a few nitpicks:

To illustrate, suppose someone and his/her co-worker have some different arguments over a problem, they will probably end up with a fight for both of them lack wise communication skills.

Run-on sentences. Split into two sentences after 'problem'.

analogous ideology

'Common' ideology sounds less awkward.

Last but not least, having an enthusiasm about his/her job will be the last significant factor that I claim is highly important on a co-worker.

'Being enthusiastic about' would be a better choice of words.

Think about it.

Good attempt at engaging the reader, but try not to include such casual phrases during exams.

I don't see anything to be worried about on your TOEFL writing section. :)

Home / Writing Feedback / TOEFL: HOW TO BE A QUALIFIED CO-WORKER?