[IELTS WRITING TASK 2] The role of constructing free libraries in town.

jeangrrr 1 / -  
Some people think the government should establish free libraries in each town.
Others believe that it is a waste of money since people can access the Internet to obtain information.

Discuss both views and give your own opinion.

The role of traditional libraries has sparked public controversy. While many people believe that more free public libraries should be constructed by national leaders, others, with the widespread availability of the Internet, might argue that such practice is by no means cost-effective. Before rendering my position, I think it is essential to explore both sides of the hot issue.

On the one hand, the establishment of free libraries in each residential area, irrefutably, exerts beneficial impacts on society. Public libraries, which provide great sources of useful information in the form of books, magazines, and documentaries along with a quiet atmosphere for reading, would spur educational progress among individuals. Especially for those whose absorptive ability is compatible with direct learning, libraries constitute optimal options for increased productivity among face-to-face interactions. The presence of libraries across the town, in the long term, would accelerate the civilization of the town since residents are motivated towards widening their horizons. Moreover, public libraries also bring about tremendous benefits when it comes to individuals' physical and mental health. Compared to online learning and working via the Internet - a method that often consists of prolonged exposure to digital devices' screens, libraries offer a much healthier environment without such undesirable health-related problems as backbones and worsened eyesight.

On the other hand, as ideal as the aforementioned proposition might be, in some aspects, the Internet is equally advantageous. The internet, accompanied by its widespread availability and simple accessing procedures, enables users to get access to a variety of resources with boosted productivity and more flexible schedules. While it could be time-consuming and physically demanding to travel from houses to the town's libraries, the internet allows users to perform tasks by simply moving their fingers, tapping their phones' screens, and getting the answer to whatever they are curious about. Additionally, digital sites are also an optimal measure of dealing with the subject of the government's financial budget. One frequent reason cited for this opinion is the enormous expenditure, which is poured into infrastructures, construction, and maintenance associated with libraries is likely to be minimized by adopting virtual learning and working practices. As a matter of fact, the town's financial budget could be invested in other necessary amenities and complexes catering to residents' demands.

To summarize, despite the huge merits brought about by the establishment of free libraries, with the great convenience and cost-effectiveness, individuals should be inclined to adopt the Internet as the main educational and working method.
You should "render" your position at the start of the essay to meet the task accuracy requirement for a clear writer's opinion. Listen, by the time that you finished reading the original prompt, you already knew what your opinion was. Therefore, you should share it with the reader at the start to help establish a strong writer's position with regards to which of the 2 public opinions you support. Kicking off the essay without actually saying which side you are on does not establish the writer's point of view as required of the preliminary scoring considerations. This is the precise reason why this essay does not meet the passing score requirements. While you did compare and contrast the two public opinions in a general manner, you neglected to indicate what your opinion was. There was no clear writer's opinion presentation of any sort. Therefore, the essay is only partially developed and as such, does not meet the complete scoring requirements. It will not receive a passing score.

Home / Writing Feedback / [IELTS WRITING TASK 2] The role of constructing free libraries in town.