Home / Writing Feedback   % width NEW!

Will schools be a thing of the past?

tinnucbebe 3 / 4  
In the modern world, schools are no longer necessary because there is so much information available through the internet that children can study just as well at home.

To what extent do you agree or disagree?

Answer:

The beginning of industrial revolution 4.0 with new technologies namely artificial intelligence and machine learning marks a milestone transformation in the nature of work. Its widespread impact on the education system can be shown by the scenario in which educational institutions, educators, lecturers, and teachers might be things of the past. However, I do support the essence of schools in the learning and development process of children.

There are many downsides of conventional schools to be considered. In a mixed-abilities class, for instance, communitarian benefits are above all. This means excellent students benefit little from easy assignments but are lacking conditions to grow their potentials whereas underperforming ones while away considerable time trying to catch up with their superior peers, and miss out on self-exploring and nurturing their own strengths.

However, overall development of a child is not solely on his or her academic performance, but soft skills and hands-on learning experience as well. Schools form an essential environment for children's interaction with each other - which is, according to some research, facilitate further improvements in their language ability. Besides, given unlimited access to numerous learning materials, what technology fails to offer is a close connection with people that allows for intimate sharings. Therefore, limiting their learning environment to a screen all day seems to deprive children of opportunities to make friends, learn how to communicate well, and most importantly, connect with others emotionally - which is only feasible in a live conversation or discussion in a class. Significantly, group assignments, aimed to get students well-equipped with the capability to work in team and prepared for their future professional careers, would be virtually absent when children do not need to attend classes. Regarding professional competencies, the absence of rules like punctuality and time-management will probably direct them to a lack of self-discipline and commitment to work when they are grown up.

In another respect, young children, if not classified as exceptionally or profoundly gifted, are mostly unable to make sense of such abstract concepts in an academic curriculum without detailed guidance and instructions of a teacher. It is open to question whether busy parents could spare time, given they have equivalent knowledge and skills, to companion with their children on their learning path. More importantly, freedom to access the Internet at a young age may go further beyond the scope of education. That children, whether accidentally or deliberately, engage in such harmful or inappropriate contents available on social media, does not come over as a surprise and is not likely to be easily controlled by parents.

In conclusion, technological innovations are expected to change the nature of work in all sectors whilst do not necessarily mean that human labour force will be completely ruled out. Classes may be delivered online, but the roles of schools and teachers are still significant in, at the least, the former stage of children's development.

Home / Writing Feedback / Will schools be a thing of the past?