Social networks create more harm than good to teenagers. What are your views ?

elfailure 1 / 3  
In decades, there have been many advances in the technology industry. Undoubtedly, one of the most important of those advances has been the Internet.

The Internet is particularly important invention because it enables people from different country to share information with each other without travelling. It has also created social networks, whereas we can communicate with friends from other parts of the world either by sending message through typing or voice call.

Social networks like Facebook, Twitter and Skype allows us to communicate through the Internet. Facebook also can be used as a "noticeboard". For schools, teachers can create a group in Facebook and add the students into it and post a reminder message for students in the group. With this, students will be reminded when is their upcoming test and study for it and will not miss out any important things because the teacher can pass the message through Facebook and even if the students were absent, he or she will get to know.

As chatting with friends through sending message by phone and using phone to call friends just for chitchatting will cost phone bill to exceed budget, Twitter and Skype would save them from the trouble. With the Internet, chatting with friends will cost lesser compare to using phone to send message and calls. Allowing them to save money which also helps to reduce the demand of money from parents.

These then are some of the advantages of the social networks, but there are undoubtedly disadvantages too. One of the most important of these is the intrusion into the lives of others. Some teenagers are obsessed with social networks.

Teenagers who are obsessed to social networks often go online with their phone almost every hour to have their status updated. Some of them even do that during lesson and will affect their studies and eventually fail their examinations.

Teenagers that uses social networks may be get cheat because they are easy prey for scammers as they are ignorant and naive. Reports were shown in newspaper and security measures have been increased.

There are advantages and disadvantages connected with social networks. I believe that with the help of parents guidance , social network will be better and safer for teengers.
annieyeah 1 / 9 2  
It's a bit fragmented. You need to start with a strong topic sentence/thesis so that your opinion is obvious from the start. I couldn't tell what your perspective was until the last sentence.

Perhaps you should redo the paragraphs. Like put all the advantages in one paragraph, and all the disadvantages in another.
OP elfailure 1 / 3  
can you give me tips on topic sentence/thesis statement ? I am weak in giving that statement
jkjeremy - / 380 72  
THESIS = main idea of entire essay
TOPIC SENTENCE = main idea of a paragraph

Each is a claim that you prove.
Neither should include much if any fact.

Also, it's none of my business, but I doubt that you're a failure. I wish you hadn't chosen that screen name.
OP elfailure 1 / 3  
thanks for your reply.
no doubt I am weak in English. haha
Bubba - / 13  
annieyeah seemed to correct it well. I can say though that even though the paper is a little rusty, i can still understand it well so good job. Your english is very passable
indrasen - / 1  
I am not fully in the support of the above sentence. I think social network is good for teenagers but it also harms too. Social networking sites are good for communicating things without any charge.

Social networking sites are good for communicating things without any charge. You can easily share your things within your friend circle. Teenagers may learn new things from social sites, like post which share or written by brilliant people, how they think about anything. Different types of discussion are going on these sites. You can share your own thought and what is your point of view about that topic. So it encourages you to think dynamically.

Nowadays social welfare associations are also joining social networking sites. If you are interested in any kind of social work then you can involve with them and stay in touch.

Social sites are also good for time pass. Whenever you are getting bored you can become online and have chatted with your friends.

Now if I talk about negative aspects then security, privacy, and time come first in my mind. Social networking sites are not too safe. They contain your personal information which is shared with your friends. So anyone can easily get information about you.

Teenagers share their own photos but these photos may be used by cyber criminals for different purpose. There is also a latest example of this. An actress updated her status like about this: My beau is on a tour of two days and i am alone..

That night some people enter her house with their face covered with masks and steal mobile phones and some jewellery.
Some teenagers only use these sites for their cupidity with fake names and ids.
Therefore we can say these sites are not so safe as we thinks.

By considering these things my conclusion is that social networking sites are only good if you know the limitation. We must be careful about what we are going to share on these sites.
I guess you are preparing for IELTS or TOEFL. This essay topic is a common one for such tasks. If so, you need to pay attention to your essay structure.
Xiaokai Jin 11 / 23 5  
Hi,elfailure
The content of your essay is very good actually, and seemingly every necessary element is in your essay. Point of view, examples, conclusion and so forth.

I just want to revise your conclusion part because I feel it is just too simple to complete your essay. I hope it'll be helpful to you.

These advantages I mention drive me to convince that social networking sites are only beneficial to people if they know what they really want to acquire from it. People who addicted to social networking sites will simply loaf around time on the Internet by refreshing the webpage again and again for nothing. The most crucial thing for people to know is advanced technology is like a double-edge sword. The only way people can take advantage of it is to stick to what our life goal is and never diverge from what you really believe in. In that manner, you will never lose the way in your life and always have a bright hope for future.
OP elfailure 1 / 3  
ok thanks for the guides! ^^

... I too agree.

The Internet is particularly important invention because it enables people from different country to share information with each other without travelling.

.... travelling? .... Well, people don't need to travel to learn about things in other countries. Movies, books, magazines etc. are some of the sources that provided such information long before internet was borne. You can say;

The Internet is particularly an important invention in respect of clearing all sorts of geographical barriers across the globe.

Social networks like Facebook, Twitter and Skypeallowsallow us to communicate through the Internet.

.... the emphasis should be given more on social networks and not on the Internet. It seems you focus is less on that :(

Home / Writing Feedback / Social networks create more harm than good to teenagers. What are your views ?