Is the speaking competence or the writing ability playing a more decisive role in people's life

ws0034 1 / 1 1  

the significance of speaking and writing

Both the ability of writing and speaking are the basic tools for us to make a live in the society. When it comes to the question of whether the speaking competence is more decisive than writing ability, people varying in education backgrounds and professions tend to have distinctive views.

However, I am in favor of the statement that speaking competence is more essential than writing capability. People with excellent speaking ability are more likely to succeed. Since the eloquent people can express themselves easily and persuade people to favor their thoughts.

For instance, in ancient china, a diplomat of Qin dynasty named Yizhang accomplish the task excellently using his communication skills. His extraordinary persuasion make the rival countries believe that their cooperation with Qin dynasty would be beneficial to them instead of allying with each other against Qin dynasty. Consequently, the Qin dynasty gradually unified the whole china.

Moreover, a competent speaker is easier to make friends with people. People trend to build a good relationship with one who can express his feelings and views accurately and vividly. Besides, a good speaker always means that he is humor and open mind, which are key factors when we choose friends. My roommates Lin who was not good at speech was always disappointed that he was a unpopular man. He always feels lonely because he has no friends. What is more, he was too shy to speak with others. His change occur when I recommend a book named the art of speech to him, which help people who have difficulty in speech improve their speaking competence. Over the past two years, he practiced the skills of communication constantly and thus became more and more open and have many friends.

The speaking ability is also critical in our careers. Almost all the vacations need the skill of communication. A teacher need a excellent speech competence to impart knowledge to students. A lawyer has to acquire a outstanding persuasion ability to help his client. In a globalized age it is inevitable that people from various country with different cultures would have to cooperate with each other. Hence people need pay more attention to speaking competence .

All in all, with the above careful analysis of the significance of speaking and writing, we can tell that people with strong capability in speaking enjoy more opportunities to promote and publicize oneself, and people who lack of such ability will obviously fail to achieve that.
Feng, the next time you post an essay for review, kindly tell us what the purpose of the writing is (speech, IELTS, TOEFL, writing practice, etc.) so that we will know how to analyze the content of your essay. If possible, kindly include the original instructions from the prompt or your professor so that we can have a starting point for analyzing your essay. Believe me, you will receive better advice when you start doing that.

This is a pretty good essay that only suffers because of the examples you present. While I can understand why you chose to use an ancient Chinese ruler as an example, not all of your readers / listeners will be familiar with that person. This could cause them to be confused or disinterested in the discussion you are presenting. Try to go with a more contemporary or recent example. Anybody from the 20th century who had a problem with speaking in public would be a good choice. A Google search would be able to help you with that. Remember, anybody before the 20th century will most likely not be familiar to most of your readers / listeners, unless you are dealing with a specific demographic of readers or listeners who may be familiar with these older examples you provided.

At this point, I have to point out that you made some grammatical mistakes in using English words such as: "People trend to build..." should be; "People TEND to build..." Trend means a prevailing tendency while the term tend means to " go or move in a particular direction." Be sure to always use the term in the right context. If necessary, look up the word meaning before you use it. An additional mistake is "My roommates Lin..." Since Lin is only one person, that is the singular form of the word and should be indicated as "My roommate..." Roommate is the singular form of the plural word that you used. Let's include "his change occur", which happened in the past so you should use the past tense of the word as in, "his change occurred..." These small mistakes take a tremendous amount of good impression away from your written work. By the way, the title of a book is considered a proper noun and should be capitalized in your essay.

Review your writing rules as it seems like you have the most problems in that section of your writing. Everything else can be considered a minimal error and can be overlooked. The more major ones, as I pointed out above, have a direct effect on your presentation and needs to be addressed for correction.
OP ws0034 1 / 1 1  
Thanks for your crrections!! It is really helpful to me. :)

Home / Writing Feedback / Is the speaking competence or the writing ability playing a more decisive role in people's life