Should students concentrate more on the subjects they like?

sanaqvi 6 / 12  
Some parents feel that students should focus on all subjects equally. Others believe that students should concentrate more on the subjects they are interested in. Do you agree or disagree?

There is no doubt that parents are concerned about the upbringing as well as the education of their toddlers more than ever before. Some hold the opinion that children should concentrate on the subjects of their interest while others believe that they should focus on all subjects. In my perspective, students in their first classes must learn all subjects and then focus the modules of their interest in their higher classes.

Firstly, leaving the choice of subjects to students at the primary level may make them like easy modules with a little practical significance. For instance, it takes a lot of effort and practice to study mathematics and science, whereas filling colours in the pictures may seem quite fascinating to the primary school students. Therefore, it is not recommended to make the choice of subjects at the disposition of children in primary level.

Secondly, forcing mature students to learn all the subjects may lead to loss of their interest in studies. Therefore, at a higher level students should be given the right to choose subjects according to their preference. Teaching a group of unrelated subjects to students at high school may be a waste of time and effort. For instance, when I was in higher secondary level preparing for my admission in a medical college, studying subjects like history and geography as essential modules were a nuisance to me. As this example shows higher school students should be given an opportunity to concentrate on their specialized subjects.

In summation, it is good to get students learn all the subjects at the primary level, but in the higher classes they should be given a space to concentrate on their areas of interest.
There is no doubt that parents are concerned about the upbringing as well as the education of their toddlerschildrenmore than ever before.

... well, toddlers grow into young kids, then teenagers and then to adolesence. In whatever age category they are, the interest of parents in their children would not diminish. So, I think you should leave it at the level of "children" which includes all these categories.

Seems you have a good understanding about the essay structure. Also you have good arguments too...Good Job!
OP sanaqvi 6 / 12  
Thanks dumi, the point i wanted to make was that parents are now more concerned about their children's education than before, I used toddlers to avoid repitition.

Could you suggest me something to improve my writing. I need 8 each in IELTS!

Well... I think you are pretty good with the essay structure and vocabulary. What you need now is to practice to deal with time :)
Also I'd suggest you to read others essays, you may find plenty of them here, to collect points and get familiar with expressing ideas. Read the comments provided by others too.
ayesha atif 1 / 4  
Hello
the times has changed when the children were forced to study certain subjects by the parents. the trends are changing world wide. parents have become more understanding towards their children's needs in education. at the initial level its important for the students to learn about all the subjects but as the children moves onwards towards higher levels of study its better for them to chose the subjects of their own interest. in this way they will be able to perform better and with interest.
RandomJPG 3 / 6  
I like it aside from the conclusion. It kind of feels like a forced stop.
Alizia 2 / 2  
Very impressive argument you have discussed. I think you can give more examples to each body paragraph to make your statement stronger.

Home / Writing Feedback / Should students concentrate more on the subjects they like?