IELTS WRITING : students should be encouraged to evaluate and criticise their teacher

hahong 6 / 11 5  
Topic : In order to imporove the quality of education, high school students should be encouraged to evaluate and criticise their teachers, but other think it will result in loss of respect and discipline in classroom. What your opinion ?

Some people think that to ensure the high quality of education, students should be encouraged to assess and criticise their teachers' performance while others claim that this activity is conducive to the disappearance of respect and discipline in classroom. I partly agree with the former idea for the following reasons.

On one hand, this policy allows teachers to enhance their performance. The truth is that as a result of being stick to the tradional teaching methods for long, teahers may cause their students to lose their interest in learning. When learners are entitled to evaluate their teachers, they enable a teacher to realiaze the weaknesses of his or her teaching method , improving their performance. In addtion, by properly adjusting their approach to education , teachers may motivate students to dig deeper into their favourite fields, and by chance, discover new things to change the world. For example, at my university, after integrating such high technologies as computers, pojectors into teaching , the student attendance rate has been significantly increasing.

However, behind the promising results is drawbacks. It is likely that when students have to bury themselves in such boring subjects as history,mathematics,literature, despite the high quality of teaching, they tend to criticise their teachers and their assessment is objective.This leads to loss of respect and discipline in classroom. For instance, though my historical teacher makes great efforts to create interesting lectures to appeal students, they rarely appreciate these efforts and less willing to give him high ratings. Equally important, With each learner having their own capbalitity, it would be a struggle for teachers to introduce a teaching method that can statisfy the needs of all students. Moreover, being bombarded with students' poor evaluation, lecturers feel stressed ,exhausted and may give up their career when their efforts are no longer be recognized.

In conclusion, to ensure the best quality of education, students should be allowed to criticise and appraise their teachers, although there are some disadvantages of this policy
....very good introduction :)

For example, at my university, after integrating such high technologies as computers, pojectors into teaching , the student attendance rate has been significantly increasing.

... Well, this example is not given for your main reason, but it supports only an additional point you mentioned in your para. Your main reason is that this policy helps enhance teachers' performance. Give an example (specific one) for this point.

You write very well and with more practice you can go for a very good score :)
OP hahong 6 / 11 5  
Thanks for your useful comments, I am going to take IELTS test on 22 June at British Council, but when writing an essay at home, it is hard for me to complete it in 40 minutes. I usually spend a lot of time on brainstorming. Do you think I should practice writing more full essays or I should prepare ideas for different topics.
Don't worry.... everybody goes through this phase. The best way for you to equip with points is to read as many similar essays as possible. If you do a search using the search tab on the top (right hand side with the sign "Go") of this screen, you can find loads of similar essays. Read both IELTS and TOEFL because they are almost the same with their features.

Also, practice with time. Stick to your essay structure. That's the 4 para structure (Introduction,2 body paras and conclusion). Don't stay on any para for too long. Try to finish the essay sooner and if you have time go back and add more lines . :)
ah_zafari [Contributor] 40 / 672 148  
I would like to add some points to what dummi mentioned. I think the main reason why you cannot write your essay in the given time (i.e. 40 min) is that your essay is a bit long. What you posted here included 329 words, while only 250 words are required for IELTS writing task two. Plus, you should practice to write fast. No matter how you are fast in typing a passage, in the IELTS test you need to write by pen. So, write as many essays as possible. Writing more essays not only helps you to improve your brainstorming skills, but also makes your handwriting faster.

Cheers,
Ahmad

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS WRITING : students should be encouraged to evaluate and criticise their teacher