IELTS2 - It's students, not teachers, choice to learn the material. Who's of control over studying?

PracticeEssay445 1 / 2 1  
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?

It is the teacher's responsibility to make a student learn the material.

Use specific details and examples to support your answer.

For some, learning new things comes as natural as breathing, but for others, the learning process can become one of life's hardest parts. It's in this case that the question regarding responsibilities arises: who's fault is it that the student didn't learn the subject? One may say that it's the teacher's duty, but for me personally, I believe this responsibility relies on the student, due to the fact that each person has a choice to augment their knowledge by learning new things.

The first reason I believe students are responsible for learning the subject is because they are the ones that have a goal in mind, and studying just gives them the tools to reach it. Even when studying becomes a goal in itself, the process of learning is a means to an end. For example, when I was in high school there were subjects that I didn't enjoy studying, nevertheless I studied them because it was in my best interest to get the best grade I could, so that in the future I would've a better starting position to finding a better job or being accepted in a good university.

Additionally, the responsibility for learning the subject relies in the student because he is the only one capable to retain the information that is given. Even if the teacher makes all the efforts humanly possible for their students to learn and teaches the material in the best way possible, at best it will only be a guide for the student. There's no way the teacher can force a student to learn and retain information, because he doesn't have the power to control what information each one retains in their brains. In the end, each and every one of has has the choice to incorporating new knowledge or not.

Finally, students are responsible for learning the material due to the fact that the best learning there is comes from a personal process. In my experience, the learning process that has yielded the best results does not always comes from the teacher or other people, but from myself. Doing a lot of practice, be it exercises, reading or other things, I believe that one can best retain the information when you practice by yourself. There is no better way to really prove you have learnt something than by facing a problem alone and solving it using your own thinking and tools acquired through the learning process.

In conclusion, I believe that students are responsible for learning the subject due to the fact that they are the only ones capable of making the choice whether to augment their knowledge by learning new things. This is for the reasons explained above, such as individual goals, capabilities to retain information and that teachers are guides for the learning process.
Maria - / 1,098 389  
Great essay and writing. I applaud your fluidity when it comes to writing. I do have a couple of content-related recommendations that I think could be beneficial for your essay's overall quality.

While you have sufficiently argued when it comes to tackling the issue of how it's a personal responsibility to learn, you should learn to balance out your thoughts. This can help legitimize and substantiate your concerns when it comes to writing. Remember that when you are writing essays such as this that are argumentative at best, you should try to elaborate through touching on the fringes of the other side of the coin. Doing this can massively improve what you have now.

I recommend that you try to elaborate more on the boundaries. I am assuming that you are well-aware that it is not solely the isolated responsibility of the student to learn, especially not in a classroom-based setup. Discuss when and where the responsibility of the teacher ends when it comes to learning. You touched this a little bit in your third paragraph when you went on discussing about how teachers cannot force students to learn. You can go in-depth to the limitations of the teacher.

I would also recommend that you try to be more exploratory when you are referencing to examples. Discuss the impact of both sides when it comes to their differences in approaching prospects in the future. How different is a self-learned student from a fully guided one when it comes to risk-taking? How about when it comes to overcoming adversaries? Does the act of self-teaching enhance one's self-confidence when it comes to being competent and independent?

Best of luck.
OP PracticeEssay445 1 / 2 1  
Thanks a lot for your comments, I didn't think I would get such a great and in-depth response to my essay. Your suggestions do make a lot of sense and I will try my best to incorporate them in new writings.

As you well said, I'm aware that not all the responsibility relies on the student, and to be honest, I've been lucky enough to learn from exceptional teachers that helped me not only in a subject-related area.

I have to say though, I was a little confused about what's expected of the essay. Initially I thought that going all in was the best way to go, but perhaps a better approach would be to explore the other side of the coin.

Again, thanks a lot.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS2 - It's students, not teachers, choice to learn the material. Who's of control over studying?