IELTS Writing Task 1: Summary on the structure in job market in Great Britain in 1992

GordonW 1 / 2  

the job market divided by gender and specific of a job

Question: The two pie charts below show some employment patterns in Great Britain in 1992. Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.

The above pie charts illustrate the structure in job market divided by gender and job nature in the UK in 1992. Overall, most of the female employees did the non-manual job while manual work is the dominant occupation among men.

First, the major sector of women works in clerical or related job as opposed to managerial and professional work for men, in terms of non-manual job. Clerical or related work account for slightly above 30% shown in the chart about women, whereas only makes up 6% among male employees. Instead, more than 36% of male works in managerial or related work, but that only accounts for 26% in women.

Second, regarding the manual employment nature, the items called other manuals account for the most proportion in both female and male, while general labourers devoted to the least. Other manuals item makes up 27% for female while 26% for male, and general labourers only account for 1% and 2% for women and men respectively.

In brief, the employment pattern in manual nature shares similarity between men and women, but the non-manual nature shares differences

Thank for all of you.

Gordon, you must present only one trending statement in the Task 1 essay. You have 2 trending statements indicated in this analysis. One at the beginning and one at the end. To quote:

Overall, most of the female employees did the non-manual job while manual work is the dominant occupation among men.

Both of these qualify as trending statements. Therefore, you should combine these 2 separate trends into one presentation sentence within the summary overview. Speaking of the summary overview, you did not completely indicate the full information that was presented in the pie charts. You also should not say "above" because the assumption is that the reader will not have a copy of the chart so you need to describe it from scratch. You could have written the summary overview in a more complete manner as follows:

Two pie charts are provided for comparison regarding the employment trends between men and women in Great Britain. The year for comparison provided was 1992. This essay will analyze the information as presented in the charts and include information about comparison points where possible. There overall trend that can be seen within the charts indicates that the females dominated the non manual work while the men dominated the manual side.

By the way, while that particular country is called the UK in general, the chart indicates that the information is from Great Britain. In order to make sure that the information you are presenting is always accurate, you cannot change the references in the chart. If the chart says Great Britain, then you should write Great Britain, regardless of how the whole world recognizes that particular country. This is part of the task accuracy consideration. How well do you present the information from the chart? How accurate is your information? That is why you cannot change the references in the presentation.
OP GordonW 1 / 2  
Thank you.
Can I simply paraphrase the overview in the first paragraph for my summary in the last paragraph?
Hi Gordon, it is with special permission from the forum owners that I am able to give you one last piece of additional advice. In this case, I will be responding to your question. I believe that you are confusing the writing methods for the Task 1 and Task 2 essays.

A task 1 essay does not need a summary conclusion / concluding paragraph because it is an analytical report. An analytical report is a paraphrased summary of already existing information. It does not require you to make a concluding summary at the end because there is nothing to conclude. You are not given any room to present a personal opinion or observation at the end of a Task 1 essay. Your only job, as a writer of a Task 1 essay, is to summarize the findings based on the already existing report. The existing report has a trending statement, which is what indicates the possible conclusion, based upon the analyzed information, for the essay. You do not need to write a summary for the last paragraph. However, you may opt to present a 3 sentence trending statement at the end of the analysis since the trending statement can be placed anywhere in the essay paragraphs. You can say something like:

Based upon the analysis of the given information, it appears that a particular trend is emerging. The upward trend is... While the downward trend is...

The above is a sample of a stand-alone trending statement. Of course the content will vary depending upon the existing trend in the illustration you are provided. Since such a trending statement can be a bit difficult for the average exam taker to write, I always advise my students to simply write a single trending sentence that can be incorporated into the summary overview at the start of the essay. That way, a comprehensive 3 sentence presentation can be made at the start to help increase the TA score of the exam taker.

The Task 2 essay is the essay that requires a summarized last paragraph as the instructions / format for that essay indicates the need for the exam taker to properly summarize the body of paragraphs and other opinions in the discussion, while also presenting a closing sentence at the end. This is a discussion essay that requires a conclusion to be made. Task 1 does not require that as there are no opinions nor thesis statements required to be made within the analysis of the report. All you have to remember is this:

Task 1 - no conclusion
Task 2 - with a conclusion (summarized concluding paragraph for previous discussion)
OP GordonW 1 / 2  
Thank you very much

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS Writing Task 1: Summary on the structure in job market in Great Britain in 1992