Are Technology and Tradition incompatible? ; TOEFL

caozeyuan 3 / 9 1  
t is a fact that the advancement in science and technology often accompanies decline in historical traditions. This is not necessarily a good thing, but helpful because we eliminate out dated part of traditions while preserving the useful part. Also, it is natural that people find convenient ways of doing things.

First of all, increased understanding in science and technology helps us to get rid of useless and harmful superstitions. For example, we all know that thunder and lightening are not the results of gods being angry, but are electrical current in the air. Likewise, flood is not the result of angry gods because people do not offer sacrifice to the gods regularly, which is a common belief decades ago. These superstitions are out of date, so modern science helps us to clarify them.

Secondly, our life has been made much easier because the advancement of technology. For instance, computer, along with the Internet, is one of the greatest inventions in the 20th century, and now it is used extensively by almost everyone.

We can enjoy the convenience of "home shopping" via Internet. All you have to do is to visit a shopping website, click on the item you want to buy and make an online payment. It is much easier than having to shopping on foot. The second convenience that Internet brings us is " home office", that is, people do not need to go to the office anymore. They can simply work at home and communicate with their colleagues using email or cell phone. This makes working a lot more comfortable and enjoyable.

Thirdly, technology can help us to preserve useful and pleasant aspects of our cultural traditions. Take the Chinese Lantern Festival as an example. Traditionally, people would make lanterns using red paper and bamboos. However, now people use modern material to make to lantern and use beautiful patterns design by computer programs to make them look more attractive. In addition, now people use light bulbs to light the lanterns instead of candles, so the lanterns are less likely to burn and are therefore much safer.

For the reasons discussed above, I strongly welcome the advancement of science and technology. In the meantime, we should not forget that there are useful traditions to be preserved and superstitions to be eliminated.
kazure14 1 / 3  
as i remember we just have to write about 200 - 300 words for a toefl essay :-?
i think it's kinda long, isn't it?
I t is a fact that the advancement in science and technology often accompanies decline in historical traditions that had been followed for generations

This is not necessarily a good thing, but may be helpful because we eliminate out dated part of traditions while preserving the useful part.

... I wish if you said it differently;
This is not a good trend always. However, if we can do away with obsolete traditions that probably do not have any relevance or use for human society anymore while continuing to follow the useful traditions, then it is the best way to deal with this issue.
Include your prompt/ question in the post. So that we can provide you with more relevant feed backs. Also, TOEFL essays should be posted into "Writing Feedback" forum.

.... It's better if you expressed your opinion more directly in your introduction.

First of all, increased understanding in science and technology helps us to get rid of useless and harmful superstitions

.... strong reason. good!

For example, we all know that thunder and lightening are not the results of gods being angry, but are electrical current in the air. Likewise, flood is not the result of angry gods because people do not offer sacrifice to the gods regularly, which is a common belief decades ago.

... great examples... even one example is enough for this task .... be mindful about the time factor too :)
You write quite good! Aim for a flying score! :D
OP caozeyuan 3 / 9 1  
Thanks for all of you It's really helpful!

Home / Writing Feedback / Are Technology and Tradition incompatible? ; TOEFL