Test 1 TOEFL. Summarize a reading and listening passage.

gabrieloandco 10 / 11 11  
To understand human personality and how it develops there are different approaches, the most common are the conflict approach and the fulfillment approach. It is curious to note that each approach is completely contrary of the other.

In the conflict approach it is said that the person is in a perpetual state of conflict. This could be either because there are competing forces within that person, in the moment f taking a decision for instance, or because of external forces that oppose the individual's internal feelings; tasks and duties could be an example of this in our daily lives. Finally, the hypothesis of this approach is that we live in a never ending conflict, and that is what shapes our personality.

Meanwhile the fulfillment approach states the opposite: It is not a conflict between forces that develops our personality but a single force that is the need for fulfillment. Here the individual's goals and how hard he works to reach them will shape his or her personality. Furthermore, his successes or failures will determine how the person will react in the future. In the end, it is the life that we have envisioned and not our actual life that will contribute to our personality.
huyennd 2 / 1  
There are different approaches to understand human personality and its development. Among them, the most widely-used ones are the conflict approach and the fulfillment approach. It is noticeable that each of them is completely contrary to each other.

On one hand, to the conflict approach, it is said that a person is in a perpetual state of conflict, probably because of either competing forces within the person, in the moment of making a decision, for instance, or external forces opposite to the individual's internal feeling, tasks and duties could be examples of this in our daily lives. Moreover, its hypothesis is that we live in never-ending conflicts which shape our personality.

On the other hand, the fulfillment approach states that it is not a conflict between forces that develops our personality but a single force that is the need for fulfillment. For example, an individual's goals and how hard he works to reach them will shape his or her personality. Furthermore, his successes or failures will determine how the person will behave in the future.

In the end, it is the life that we have envisioned and not our actual life that will contribute to (affect) our personality.
ichanpants89 [Contributor] 16 / 777 309  
Hi Gabriel, welcome to EF team!

Here's my analysis of your essay.

1st paragraph:
- To understand human personality and how it develops, (comma) there are several/some different approaches. (stop here, create a new sentence)The most common approaches are the conflict approach and the fulfillment approach.

- It is curiouscrucial/important/essential to note that each approach is completely contrary ofto the others .

2nd paragraph:
- In the conflict approach, (comma) it is said that the person is in a perpetual state of conflict.
- ...be either because there are competing forces within that person (comma is unnecessary) in the moment of taking (...) that oppose the individual's internal feelings. (period, create a new sentence)Tasks and duties could be anthe examples of this in our daily lives.

- Finally, the hypothesis of this approach is that never ending conflict shapes our personalities.we live in a never ending conflict, and that is what shapes our personality.

3rd paragraph:
- Meanwhile, (comma) the fulfillment approach states the opposite. (period, new sentence) It is not a conflict (...) but a single force that is the needneeded for fulfillment.

- Here the Individual's goals and how hard he or she works to reach them will ...

As you can see, some modifications have been delivered. I hope you can follow through. Do not hesitate to ask if you need further assistance. Good luck in revising this essay :)
Hi Gabrielle, below is my take on your essay.

First of all, as this is a summary of something that you have read or listened, you have to give or provide the title of the book or the audio passage in order to provide the reader, some basis to keep the review apt and more accurate.

However, I believe we can still create an appropriate remark towards your work, just like the above modifications and here's some additional remarks.

- To understand the human personality
- are the conflict approach and the fulfillment approach.
- It is also curious to note that each
- approach is completely contrary ofto the other.

- Meanwhile, ( don't forget the minor details of your sentences such as punctuation marks )
- Furthermore, his successes or failures will determine
- it is the life that we have envisioned and not our actualthe life that we live in that will contribute to our personality.

There you it Gabriele, I hope this has helped you in your revision and for future writing reference, mind the minor details of your sentences and make sure that the linking verbs are also visible as this will affect the overall idea of your essay.

Home / Writing Feedback / Test 1 TOEFL. Summarize a reading and listening passage.