It is vital for arts to have prolific conditions to thrive and be accessible for people

xatutik 12 / 29 10  
Some people believe that government funding of the arts is necessary to ensure that the arts can flourish and be available to all people. Others believe that government funding of the arts threatens the integrity of the arts.

Write a response in which you discuss which view more closely aligns with your own position and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should address both of the views presented.

The ideal case would be if every art and artist does not need external funding and can maintain itself. Unfortunately, nowadays we are far from this ideal case. Undoubtedly, everyone will admit that supporting arts and making it available to all people is important thing to do. On the other side if someone funds some field, it is bringing risk for that field not to be as free as before and lose its impartiality. Thus often it is challenging task for artists or art representatives to choose between funding and preservation of their integrity. From my point of view, they should choose the golden mean. That is, accept a funding if the supporter is sincere and does not require changes on their ideals. However, if sponsor has requirements which will cause lose of their ideas and integrity, they should refuse it.

Government is the main organization, which should be concerned about thriving of arts in their country. Arts are one of the ways to introduce nation in a world, and having flourished arts is advantageous for a country. For example if someone sees paintings of famous Armenian painter Martiros Saryan, he/she will find enormous information not only about the country's picturesque nature, but also about its people, their lifestyle, traditions and history. Moreover, arts also can have huge educational function for its own nation too, especially for youth. So government should make sure that it is available for all people. For example in my country every year takes place a cultural event called "The night of museum", fund by the government. This day almost all museums in whole country are free for entrance.

However many people believe that for arts accepting funding from a government can have bad consequences such as losing independence. They claim, if government suggests funding for arts, it will also require something in return. Surely no one is insured that this will not happen and certainly if it does happen, than I believe artists should refuse any support. However I believe that the funding of government is the most "safe" for arts. As I explained above, government already has motivation for funding arts in the country. On the other side "government" is a managing body, elected by nation, and mostly it presents the interests of that nation. It is not an individual, which can have sharp preferences and will require artists to do something to please their taste.

To sum up, I believe that it is vital for arts to have prolific conditions to thrive and be accessible for people. However these conditions can be created only with sufficient support, getting which often brings a threat of losing independence. In such a situation artists should try to find a support which will not oblige them to lose their integrity. In my opinion mostly this kind of support can provide a government.
Adamtong 9 / 32 2  
The ideal case would be if only art does not need external funding and artist can maintain himself.

However, if sponsor has requirements which will cause lose of their ideas and integrity, they should refuse it.
However, if the requirement from patrons twist the conviction and insult the spirit of the artists, they should refuse it.

For example in my country every year takes place a cultural event called "The night of museum", fund by the government. This day almost all museums in whole country are free for entrance.

For example,my country holds a cultural event called "The night of museum" each year, funded by the government. All museums are free access in this day and people can learn a lot from the exhibition.
The ideal case would be if every art and artist does not need external funding and can maintain itself. Unfortunately, nowadays we are far from this ideal case. Undoubtedly, everyone will admit that supporting arts and making it available to all people is important thing to do.

- What happened to restating the prompt at the start of the introduction?

From my point of view, they should choose the golden mean. That is, accept a funding if the supporter is sincere and does not require changes on their ideals. However, if sponsor has requirements which will cause lose of their ideas and integrity, they should refuse it.

- Don't use fictitious situations. The thesis statement should be about government funding for the arts. That can't start in the 2nd paragraph.

- This is a weak argument in support of government funding for the arts. You should speak of the fact that arts would not exist without the government that builds museums and funds the development of the arts at the grass roots level.

- You need to strengthen this discussion by researching reasons that people would rather the government stay out of the arts. There are better reasons available than the one you presented.

You may want to rethink your conclusion after you do additional research to improve the content of your paper :-) This is a good effort, but it can be better.
OP xatutik 12 / 29 10  
Thank you for comments :)
Actually I'm trying to write it in 30 minutes and sometimes it is quite hard to think of really good reasons and examples.
I'm getting nervous about this :(
I can understand your nervousness. I would be nervous too if I were in your position again. The only advice I can think of giving you at this point is, don't pay attention to the clock. You are paying so much attention to not going overtime and therefore not finishing the paper that you cannot concentrate on anything else. That is why you are finding it difficult to concentrate on what you want to say in the paper. It is one of the reasons that your discussions are under developed as well. You need to relax and just let your thoughts flow. Regardless of how the grammar turns out.

Remember, the test you are about to take is first and foremost, a test of English comprehension skills. That means they are trying to gauge how well you understand the English language. It is important that you can understand the language in order to enter American colleges and universities or British, Canadian, and Australian universities in the case of IELTS. If you cannot prove you understand the prompt, then it can be assumed that you will not understand the English mode of instruction.

So you need to practice your comprehension and analytical skills. The language and grammar skills can be built over time. Just make sure that you can present all of your ideas in your essay in as clear a manner as you can for the exam reviewer to understand. Write from the heart every time and the content may just turn out the way you hope it will in the end :-)
dunguyen 9 / 19 6  
Hi xatutik,

Again, I think you are putting a lot of efforts in the introductory paragraph, which is unfortunately counterproductive in this essay. I think that we should go straight and clear in stating our thesis statement, particularly the "view more closely aligns with your own position".

Below reasoning just popped up in my head. You could think about it in supporting your position. However, I will take vangiespen's advice seriously that we can research on this issue little bit before writing the essay.

Arts are used to enrich human soul, connect people regardless of race or religion, and to convey cultural characteristics of a nation. As you normally see, we come across artistic performances at nearly all public or international events. So, the role of arts is unarguably vital. Unfortunately, successful businessmen - who are the most capable people to donate funds for artistic developments - are not so keen in these kinds of activities. Rarely we see a news that some high-profile figures would give out money to arts, instead they donate for politics lobby, eduction or healthcare purposes. Therefore, government funding is necessary to motivate arts' creation and availability.
Anfalia 40 / 56 23  
On the other side if someone funds some field,

some fields
if I'm not mistaken it should be plural. good luck! :)

Home / Writing Feedback / It is vital for arts to have prolific conditions to thrive and be accessible for people