Home / Writing Feedback   % width   Posts: 2

IELTS WRITTING TASK 2 Question: some people argue that university students should be free to choose

Linhw 2 / 2  
Question: some people argue that university students should be free to choose their subjects. Others believe that they should only be allowed to study courses of future benefits like science and technology. Discuss both views and give your opinion.

In today's advanced education, the topic of freedom to choose subjects at university has sparked a fiery discussion among people across the globe. While some argue that students in universities should have the right to decide their subjects, others believe that it is better for them to only study subjects that will benefit their future careers, such as science or technology. In a broader sense, this essay contends that the advantages of voluntary decisions surpass the value of studying only academic subjects, especially in the long term.

On the one hand, those who consider students should have the liberty to make decisions on their subjects are likely to argue that students are more inspired to study if they have their own choices. Indeed, each pupil's own differing interests influence their application to the university's subjects. For instance, individuals with linguistic and literary ability tend to prefer to delve into history, geography, or social science rather than spend hours and hours in math or technology classes. Therefore, the freedom to choose subjects not only fuels students' motivation but also promotes their distinct talents. The creativity and strong points like negotiation or critical thinking equipped to students via the studying process lend assistance in their future occupation while at the same time promoting personal development.

On the other hand, other groups that value academic subjects have their merits, particularly in the way students are taught essential skills for their future careers. Various job opportunities are given to students while they have a profound understanding of the field, including mathematics, science, or technology. To be specific, those who take these courses are able to access a wide range of well-paying and in-demand jobs because the rapid expansion of these industries results in a high demand for skilled professionals with profound expertise. Additionally, the outcomes of advances in science, technology, medicine, or engineering benefit society as a whole. However, it is hard to keep students' enthusiasm for compulsory education for a long time.

In conclusion, granting students the autonomy to apply preferred subjects' advantages outweighs the positive potential of mandatory subjects. Learning and pursuing careers relevant to interests and talents help to maintain students' passions in adulthood. In my opinion, while it seems reasonable to make student study subjects serve in the future workplace, it is more important to allow them to choose what they want to study for the creativity and innovation that liberty brings about.

Holt  Educational Consultant - / 15258  
Your first sentence in the first paragraph is misleading. There is no fiery discussion sparked across the globe. A simple statement was made in the original prompt that you should have restated at the same level. Points are always deducted when the writing over states the original topic for any reason. You created a topic deviation with your presentation. That will negatively affect your TA score.

this essay contends

The essay contends nothing. The essay will not write itself. You are being asked for your opinion, own it. Use first person pronouns. Say "I contend..." Specifics are needed for the writer to get a proper TA score based on his own opinion.

The writer's opinion cannot be discussed in the concluding paragraph. That is an incorrect format presentation. The writer's opinion should be integrated into the discussion paragraphs. You may not achieve a passing score even though you discussed the topic at length.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS WRITTING TASK 2 Question: some people argue that university students should be free to choose
Need professional help with your assignments? Fill out one of these forms: