ILC Challenge & Change in Society HSB4M-A EXAM

tha_rodriguez 1 / 3  
Hi everyone, I have an exam coming up for Challenge and Change in Society that I'm having trouble studying for. Could anyone provide me help on the best way to go about these topics

Part A. Has 16 multiple choice questions >> review all key terms and concepts in units 1 -4
Concepts such as:
-quantitative research method
-structuralism
-social integrations theory
-clinical vs experimental psychologists
-structuralism vs Marxism
-conforming
-cognitive dissonance
-prejudice and discrimination
-globalization and its impact
etc etc.

Part B. Short Answer questions: 39 marks: Be prepared to explain concepts in short 2 - 5 sentence paragraphs on test. Commit concepts and key aspects of anthropology, psychology, and sociology to memory

-steps in the scientific method
-impact of the media
-impact of technology on society and the family
-two main branches of anthropology
-two main schools of psychology (psychoanalytic theory and behaviorism)
-alienation and how to leads to cultural and social change
-different way children are treated in developed and developing countries
-stages of development from childhood to adulthood

-steps in the scientific method
-impact of the media
-two main branches of anthropology
etc. etc.

Part C. Long essay: 60 Marks. Be prepared to write on a topic referring to psychological, sociological and anthropological perspectives
Focus on topics that formed part of the key questions in the unit: impact of media on culture and society; youth culture and different psychological, sociological and anthropological perspectives of youth culture; explanation of violence in society from the three perspectives; and prejudice and discrimination from the three perspectives. Be prepared to write on at least two or more of the topics noted. You will have some choice.
elzbietabielec 3 / 5  
Hi
Not sure if this will help, but if you keep a diary/reflective log then you could always cross refernce, speak to tutors for assistance if you are unsure.

Hope this helps?
Liz
review all key terms and concepts in units 1 -4

This pretty much says it all for this section. Get together with a friend in the same class and quiz each other on the definitions and concepts until you are sure you know them. In fact, that would work for the first three sections of the exam. For the long essay, you might try debating some of the key issues you have looked at. Going over the various positions and deciding which ones you agree with should prepare you to quickly come up with a thesis for whatever the essay question is.
This is such an interesting blend of topics! I would recommend a sorting exercise:

Get all the class material, and print it out.
Print out these lists above.
Sort all your readings according to the item/question that they go with.

Also, this is the kind oftest you can practically complete ahead of time. Make sure you have something to say about each item, and commit them to memory. Enjoy this stuff while you are in school!; you'll miss it someday! A positive attitude makes it easier, a lot easier.
It is the sort of thing you tend to miss, isn't it. Seems odd, though, especially when you can still remember how much you'd have rather been doing something else at the time. I think the study sessions themselves are often fun, but are stressful because they tend to be left until the last minute, and because you have to worry about successfully memorizing everything. The learning itself though, is always a joy.
Only fun when you are good at it! For some kids, the sessions are not fun, because they feel like they cannot do what the others can do. Interestingly, though, it gets EASIER when the student takes on that positive attitude reflected in your post, and then they learn to really like it. The first step is to take on an attitude of settling into the JOY of academic exploration.

... and you even have expert teachers as your guides! Too bad we so often think of school as work and of teachers as people in our way.
I think a lot of it depends on our parents. Any child that hasn't learned to read and to enjoy learning long before he or she gets into a formal class setting is pretty much doomed to view education as a chore, I suspect. Of course, parents can also suck the joy out of learning, too. One friend of mine hates reading because his parents used to make him read as a punishment when he was a kid. I'd get sent to my room, which I always used to view as an odd punishment, since I always had books hidden up there that I could read, and so didn't view it as a punishment at all.
Ha ha, that is great! Cool example. When you enjoy reading, it's like a card up your sleeve. In real life I often have a book and a pen with me. I carry the pen because I am opinionated and it helps me to make points in argument and conversation (like a conductor of an orchestra, or maybe a crazed wielder of a pointy object), and the book is where I go when I want to escape from life. So, the pen is my sword and the book is my shield. Ha ha, that is corny. You reminded me of the book as shield thing...
If you get a big enough book, it can double as both a melee weapon and shield, since you can wield it like a club. In fact, many people who have read a book or two seem to wield the ideas they have learned from them in just such a fashion.

a crazed wielder of a pointy object

I'd have gone with the plural, there "a crazed wielder of pointy objects" which manages to be simultaneously detailed enough and non-specific enough to be really quite funny.
Right on, hahahah... everything seems extra funny today.

Also, "a crazed wielder of pointy objects" has better rhythm, because if you pay no attention to the "y" at the end of "pointy" the meter matches up.
Matches up with what? Surely "of pointy objects" is iambic, but "a crazed wielder" not so much. Or am I scanning it wrong?
The way it sounded in my head was

Crazed wield * er

of

pointy ob * jects.

Only the "y" doesn't count. So it goes:
stressed, stressed, not stressed... stressed, stressed, not stressed.

That is probably not clear. Nevermind. We are nerds.
Oh, I see. How about, "A crazy writer wielding pointy objects," which I think scans even if you include the "y" on "pointy."
I like the other one better: Crazed wielder of pointy objects.

On that note, someone once asked me: Do you want any of a mango? It was like,

Do You Want... any-of-a-mango...
What sort of accent? I'm assuming the speaker had one, just because of the construction of the sentence, though the speaker could have just been very poetic.
She is quite a poetic person. Her accent comes from New England. She was offering me some of her mango.

Home / Essays / ILC Challenge & Change in Society HSB4M-A EXAM