Unlike other professions scientists accept that they don't know.... Discuss??

nurgul 1 / -  
I'am currently an international student studying Biochemistry. I'am currently in my last year.
In my module "Social Aspects Of Science" I have a essay to write which i'am seriously finding very hard to start off.

The question given to us is:

Unlike other professions scientists accept that they don't know... Discuss??

I would really be grateful for any help you can give me. Thank you in advanced
Jennyflower81 - / 690 96  

Right. This is a correct statement. The purpose if a scientist is to study things, find answers, create questions and theories. So, a scientist must find a problem or question to solve. They will probably ask a question that they don't know the answer to, and the answer that they find may lead to more questions. Scientists often create a hypothesis when they do an experiment, meaning that it is "an educated guess" (they don't know) The purpose of the experiment is to validate the hypothesis. Through research, scientists may create a "theory" which is an assumption based on many scientific facts, but a theory cannot technically be proven. (they don't know) So, a proper scientist must accept that there are many many things that they don't know and that is why they will always have a job ;)

Home / Essays / Unlike other professions scientists accept that they don't know.... Discuss??