SOP for master application for Mining Engineering

Isaiah04 1 / -  
Once upon a time, while I was still in primary school my Uncle just randomly showed my an iron ore sample, the clear contrast of it difference to most steel products got me intrigued making me wanting to know.

So my most notable traits ever since has been my curiosity about new subjects. Logic, math, and analytical reasoning have always been among my strongest qualities. During my senior year of secondary school, I focused on physics and mathematics curriculum to improve my areas of strength. With a variety of interests in machinery, materials, constructions, and geology, I began learning more about the various engineering specialties. Mining engineering, which encompasses a number of disciplines like geology, economics, environmental management, civil, mechanical, and metallurgical engineering, and more, seemed to fit all of my interests.

Upon completion of my Bachelor's degree in Mining Engineering, I am driven to enhance my expertise and skills in this field. And the reason for this is due to my concern on how artisanal and small scale mines are operated in my home country Nigeria. In my home country, numerous conventional gold mines run by local residents currently utilize mercury in the extraction process, posing significant harm to both the workers and the environment.

Furthermore, the direct release of mercury wastes into the surrounding environments, without undergoing any treatment process, leads to mercury poisoning among fish in the riverbed and local residents. Therefore, it is imperative to modify this gold extraction method to a safer and environmentally friendly system to adhere to responsible mining practices.

While pursuing my Bachelor's degree in Mining Engineering, I underwent a six-month industrial training program, completing it at the Ministry of Mines and Steel Development. During this period, I had the opportunity to work in two departments: the Mines Inspectorate Department (MID) and the Environmental Impact Assessment department (EIA). In the EIA department, I was assigned a project to promote awareness about the environmental impacts of mining operations during mine inspections. The majority of the mines visited were small-scale and artisanal, primarily engaged in gold mining, often utilizing mercury for gold extraction.

I advocated a potential solution to the mercury poisoning issue, which involves mandating the use of a retort during the burning of mercury amalgam to capture the released mercury vapor. Additionally, proper disposal of mercury or mercury-contaminated tailings is crucial-these substances should not be disposed of in any water body. Instead, the recommended method is placing mercury in a clay or laterite soil-lined pit of 5 meters depth, situated at least 100 meters away from any water body, followed by compaction, soil covering, and re-vegetation.

While some artisanal and small mines adhere to these solutions, most still struggle due to increased economic costs. I aim to discover a more cost-effective and environmentally friendly method for gold extraction during my Master's degree program at the Colorado School of Mines.

I selected the Mining Engineering master's program at Colorado School of Mines because of its specialized courses in mining and metallurgical processing operations. The school boasts well-equipped research labs, facilities, and an Experimental Mine dedicated to this field. Moreover, the faculty comprises experienced professional engineers, contributing to its top ranking as the world's leading minerals and mining engineering program (QS World Ranking).

These considerations inspire me to delve further into the extractive process of mineral resources, with the aim of finding a solution for mining practices in my home country.
Once upon a time, while I was still in primary school

This is the most incorrect way to approach your statement of purpose. You should not be referring you a history of influence in this essay. The focus should be on the work experience that has influenced your decision to advance your theoretical knowledge for the benefit of your workplace. Your first 2 paragraphs are not applicable to a masters degree statement of purpose. These should be replaced with more relevant entries into the presentation. Open the essay with the third paragraph instead. That is more relevant to the requirements of the purpose. The rest of the essay, though not strong enough due to the lack of professional experience, is already acceptable if you are applying to a program that does not require a 5 year work experience reference.
There are several key areas for improvement. Firstly, the opening paragraph should clearly outline the purpose of the letter, including your intentions and the intended recipient. Typically, applicants begin with 'Dear XXXX,' and structuring your first paragraph in this manner would be more appropriate. However, the content of the first two paragraphs could be relevant if you are selected for an interview with the school at a later stage. Secondly, focus on enhancing the coherence and cohesion of your writing by incorporating segues to demonstrate the flow of the letter. Additionally, it's important to maintain a persuasive tone throughout. Rather than simply listing achievements and experiences, aim to 'sell and persuade' by showcasing your goals and aspirations. Some part of your writing has this element and you should consider it to do some improvisation on it. Lastly, remember to conclude with a gracious note of thanks to the admissions committee for their time and consideration. This final touch adds a courteous and professional tone to your letter.

Home / Essays / SOP for master application for Mining Engineering