'devote full-time to ever grow as a research scientist' - Bioscience Graduate Program SOP

dhlee3 1 / -  
Bioscience Graduate Program Statement of Purpose

Hello y'all!
This is my statement of purpose. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Learning and growing in the knowledge of human pathology and its increasingly complex affecter drugs and xenobiotics, I have established within myself a firm commitment to devote full-time to ever grow as a research scientist. The rigorous training at the State University thesis-driven Bachelor and Master of Science accelerated program in Pharmacology and Toxicology has thoroughly prepared me to make my contribution as a doctoral student in the Great Graduate Program, with the specific focus on Pharmacology and Molecular Signaling.

Early on in the undergraduate years of college, I have joined the Pharmacology and Toxicology department at the State University. Since the very first year in the program, I have received hands-on research technique training at the drug discovery laboratory of Dr. Researcher. Working at Dr. Researcher lab as an undergraduate research assistant, I was provided with a great range of platforms to conduct experiments, which has opened my eyes to see the world of remarkable research that is going on in the vast field of biomedical sciences. Not only so, I was privileged to conduct my own independent project. In the mean while, I was involved as a student in the multi-semester fundamental pharmacology courses as well as the drug-action course. This was a transforming period in my life as a pharmacology training student, and thus greatly impacted my career path decision. In the 3rd year of undergraduate program, I have applied and was accepted to the highly selective five year Bachelor of Science and Master of Science combined degree program in the Pharmacology and Toxicology department of the State University.

The independent project that I have started with Dr. Researcher has developed into a currently-ongoing thesis project entitled, "Anticancer Agents Targeting the Interface of Human Estrogen Receptor/S100 Protein Complexes." The aim of this project is to develop alternative treatment strategies for the anti-estrogen resistant breast cancer patients by obtaining a better understanding of the tamoxifen-resistant tumor growth. The first objective of the study was to identify the ER conformation sensing regions of the interacting EF hand proteins and the second objective is to develope peptidomimetics sensors using the structure based discovery tools. To design and design novel peptides and peptidomimetics targeting ER-S100 interaction, computer aided drug discovery and chemical syntheses (CADD-CHEM) iteratively was established and in vitro screening was of top peptides and peptidomimetics were performed for their anti-cancer activity using MCF-7 breast cancer cell lines. The results of these experiments were presented at regional and national conferences such as the Conference in 2014 in City, State, and are on the process of being put together for publications.

The prospect of becoming a part of the community of the world-renowned faculty members, such as Dr. Researcher1 and Dr. Researcher2 at the Great Graduate Program excites me greatly. I am determined to receive the training in order to become more refined, and to consolidate the foundation built on the discipline of pharmacology, especially in the subset of molecular drug discovery, neuropharmacology, and as equally significant and relevant field - environmental toxicology. This opportunity will be the crucial step towards becoming a high impact researcher of the next generation.
David, the only portion of this SOP that you can use for your essay is the latter part that speaks of your current project. The prior part of the essay does not provide enough current information about your experience in the field that can be viewed as a basis for your consideration as a masters degree student. I suggest that you revise the essay to include the following information that is required in an SOP:

1. Your current work experience in the field.
2. How does your choice of masters degree affect your future in your chosen field?
3. Any current training, work experience, seminars, or training you have attended in relation to your field of work which serves as the logical basis for your advanced studies decision. This is prioritized over your past college experience and academic pursuits.

4. Your future short and long term goals in relation to your desire to graduate from this program.

Home / Graduate / 'devote full-time to ever grow as a research scientist' - Bioscience Graduate Program SOP