How to explain 2 years (or is it 1 year?) of gap in Statement of Purpose?

Shashank H R 1 / 2  
Hi everyone,

I completed my bachelor's degree (BE) in Mechanical engineering with good scores back in July 2011 and now, I am applying for Master's in Aerospace Engineering, 2013 Fall/Autumn intake at a few US and European universities. Now, it has been over a year since I have completed BE and I don't have any work experience, and I have simply stayed at home studying and enhancing my knowledge of mechanical engineering subjects all this time. While writing the SoP, how should I explain this gap? I kindly request you to help me in this regard.

Thanking you,

Shashank
lfandronic 1 / 6  
Hello,

Uf, this is a difficult situation to be in. However, here are my thoughts on it - may be too far fetch...

So while you are home studying, did you have a specific goal why you were studying? did you study to take a test? retake a class? did you take any community classes? or online? did you have an internship? did you try to apply for jobs but nothing fit with your goals? did you volunteer anywhere? internship? - reflect on these, and write down some important things that you believe brought you to today.

Also, how come you have decided to go back to school now? what changed your life? Why now? Why master? Have you completed the test requirement with high scores and that is the reason why you staid home? during your undergrad, have you worked/intern?

I believe these are just a few questions that you should answer in order to begin explaining your 1-2 years of gap.

Good luck,
OP Shashank H R 1 / 2  
Hello lfandronic,

Thanks for your reply.
I had decided to continue with my master's degree while I was in the undergraduate course itself. Many of the jobs available to me after graduating didn't draw my interest as they had more of a software nature.

I prepared for a few months for Indian graduate entrance test-GATE , but ended up getting mediocre scores due to which I couldn't get into Aerospace department, the department which I am very particular about, at the top Indian universities. All the process related to applying to these universities and waiting for their reply ended somewhere in July this year.

In the month of August did an online search looking out for the universities around the world which offered good education at Master's level and found some. Right now I am preparing for GRE and TOEFL which I'll be taking in November.

However, now,I have decided not to highlight this gap very much. I will just write in a sentence or two emphasizing on the activities i.e studies, reading books related to aerospace engineering, etc which I took up in this gap and how it has only increased my passion for Aerospace Engineering.

I have good academic records and some unique achievements to mention in my SoP. Hopefully, the gap will be overlooked.

Thank you!
lfandronic 1 / 6  
Hello again,

Well seems that you have it figured it out. I would not emphasize on the gap at all. Just briefly mention your desire for aero eng. Good luck with the test, GRE was difficult due to the amount of vocab you have to learn.

Good luck!
admission2012 - / 477 90  
Hello,

Fortunately for you, many of the students you will compete with will also not have any work experience as they will apply directly from an undergrad program. However, you have an in demand degree and will be seen as someone who is only collecting degrees without intention on using them. Saying that you took a year off to study will not work especially since you will not be able to show that you got good grades on what you were studying for...Your best bet is to use the traveling fill in. Saying that you traveled and explored will work. It always does and it provides a perfect gap year excuse. -AAO

Hope this helps.

Home / Graduate / How to explain 2 years (or is it 1 year?) of gap in Statement of Purpose?