'my first art class; photography' - Statement of Purpose - Design Planning major

lovekei 1 / 1  
Hi.
I felt difficult on writing 'concrete purpose..'
plz give me some comment! ;)
(I am applying to Design Planning major, master's program.)

I can remember my first art class at university; it was a photography class I took in the spring of 2002. I could barely breathe as I watched with a tensioned face, and shrank when my pictures were shown on the class-sized screen. I could only take a deep breath after the class finished. When the semester ended, I realized how much I am fascinated by watching ordinary life with my own perspective. Though it was a general photography class, it was a wonderful new experience for an economics major who has always adored design. It was in that class that I realized my passion for visual expression and decided to study Design.

Studying a completely different field and competing with students who have received an art education from young age demanded a lot in design maturity as well as ability of time management. However, with my diligent personality and positive mindset, I managed to study finance before midnight and do design work after. My analytic thinking and ability to grasp the big picture (a skill I learned from economics) made my design especially strong. In my image design class, I suggested 'Tag design', which can be reused as a bus card pocket. My work earned the professor's interest, and she suggested that I continue my study in a masters program in her laboratory.

Though I came to graduate school to become a designer, I still had vague insight on how design industry worked. Since my major mainly focused on graphic studios and brand design, I also took classes out of major such as Industrial design, Design management which are affiliated with my undergraduate studies. Getting to know design industry and developing a taste for design, I met design planning class based on ethnographic research. I felt 'Wow!' that it was the perfect place to work in. Defining unknown needs and finding creative solution through social scientific research analysis can utilize my analyzing and planning ability as well as creativity. When I learned IDEO's strategic case studies, I, once again, became tensioned face. I started searching master's programs in design planning to study further on and work on that field, and strongly wished to go ( ), especially through the Professor Jung's class, which can experience part of( )s methodology centered design.

My professional goal is to run a design consulting firm with the talented people that I've met and will meet. ( )will be the best choice in world wide networks and rich academic resources, and elaborate methodological frameworks it provides. Moreover, cross-curricular education between design majors will also broaden my design experience as a pre-design-consultant. I know many schools provide business-design correlated courses, but those are designed for designers who need to get Business A to Z. For me, I need to train myself in design problem solving under the strong design methodology and research analysis.

It took a long journey for me to find design, but I believe all those experiences improved myself as a designer. In ( ), where the most fervent, talented students and faculty members are studying, and where design, technology, and methodology are mixed alluringly, I am looking forward to harden my self to be forceful design consultant. With my great energy and will-power, I am intellectually, emotionally, and financially prepared for the graduate program at ( ) .
...as I watched with a tense face, and I shrank when my pictures were shown to the class on the giant screen.

...consulting firm with the talented people. that I've met and will meet.

Wat were the instructions for this essay? If it is a statement of purpose, focus more on what you intend to accomplish while in school and after. Be very specific, and inspire the reader with your passion for Design.

The third paragraph is where I think you can change the sentences to focus on your big plan, your process that you clearly envision. Explain how you have been fulfilling your purpose, your plan, and then go on to tell about the SPECIFIC resources that you will use at their school. Any specific professors from whom you hope to learn?

Good luck!!

:)
OP lovekei 1 / 1  
thanks, it;s statement of purpose. I will work more on that. ^^

Home / Graduate / 'my first art class; photography' - Statement of Purpose - Design Planning major