'How nature has taught engineering to itself' SOP draft

nobeldeen 1 / -  
A Sage once said that knowledge is the lost property of man, anywhere he finds it he grabs it. This is the most important drive for me towards my career and life goals. These words had imbued me with the ability to think out of the box. Since my teenage years, I had always marvelled at nature's engineering feats such as the navigation of birds in the open skies and the remote communication techniques employed by ants when hunting their foods.

I wondered how it was possible at all for two unconnected and or disparate systems to communicate. It is this rather simple but complex phenomenon that ignited my passion to pursue a career in Electrical/Electronic Engineering.

During my undergraduate studies, I took and excelled in various modules which have given me sound understanding of Antennas, Microwave Engineering, Transmission Lines and Filters, Information Theory and Coding, and Radio wave Propagations.

I have also acquired invaluable experience in the areas of Microwave Engineering, Point to Point Protocol (PPP), Fibre Optic Communications, VSAT Installations during a six month internship with Direct on PC limited, a leading Internet Service Provider in my country. While there, I gave Technical Support assistance to numerous clients having challenges with their wireless connectivity. This helped to hone my ability to troubleshoot problems in a logical and analytical manner.

I did a research into "Model For Predictive Control for Integrating Traffic Flow in Multi-Junctions" in my final project. I focused on intelligent traffic controller systems through the use of SCAT (Sydney Coordinated Adaptive Traffic System) and SCOOT (Split Cycle Offset Optimization Technique) control mechanisms. The SCAT and SCOOT are used for modelling adaptive/intelligent based traffic control systems to predict the optimal flow and handing over of traffic movements between junctions at both peak and off peak periods. The research was both challenging and wonderful because it gave me ample opportunity to visualize traffic situations virtually through simulations then mapping out the optimal path flows for both privileged and phased movement. More so having to read and digest previous research publications was an exerting experience which involved sieving the seeds from the shaft.

I have strong research inclination towards microwave equipment design parameters, it involves using a lot of Mathematics like the Chebychev functions, Insertion Loss Parameters, and it includes Wave-Guides, Directional Couplers and Optical Resonators. The design of this equipment requires a firm grasp of electromagnetic wave theory especially The Maxwell Equations and its derivatives. Microwave devices applications are expanding very rapidly, so researches have to move ahead of time.

After my Masters Degree in Electrical Engineering with research interest in design of microwave devices, I will also want to proceed for a Doctorate Degree (PhD) in Electrical Engineering. I want to contribute my own intellectual quota in making technology a more useful tool especially in the third world countries. In the near future, I want to be part of the generation of professionals that proffer solutions to the emerging Engineering needs of the modern man.

KAUST is the perfect place for the fruition of my budding academic dream, it's got it all. With outstanding Researchers in areas including Computational Electromagnetism, Fibre-Optic Communications, System on Chip Fabrications etc. The University's Vision and Mission statements aligns with my personal Career Goal which is to be a renowned researcher in the field of Wireless Communication Engineering by the year 2017.

This I want to achieve through extensive and ground breaking researches that add value to life. There exist yet many uncharted fields in today's evolving Electrical Engineering; it will be an honour for me to be part of this movement marching towards higher grounds, wireless engineering is still in its burgeoning state and surely issues of interference, coding techniques, network coverage will still need to be tackled. It is my strong conviction that if given a chance to study here at the Physical Sciences and Engineering Division, I will optimize all the opportunities thrown at me to succeed and be a worthy ambassador of this school.
BLALJI 1 / 4  
Hi Nasir,
I just reviewed your SOP and corrected few things that I found should be corrected.
It is a good effort from you. Just a little suggestion friend, elaborate your passion for doing MS in Electrical/Electronic Engineering from KAUST and rephrase the last two paragraphs as they can be easily recognized by many a people especially by members of essay forum

These words had imbibed in me the ability of a man to think out of the box.

some vivid examples comes to my mind

I had thought to myself as how on earth was it possible for two unconnected and/ or disparate systems to communicate between themselves. T his rather simple, but complex phenomenon ignited my passion to pursue a career in Electrical/Electronic Engineering.

During my undergraduate studies, I accepted every course

I did my internship in Direct on Pc Limited, an Internet Service Provider in my country,
D uring my six months internship at Direct on Pc Limited, an Internet Service Provider in my country , I was fortunate to get exposure to vast applications of all theories I had learnt in undergraduate school with regards

a Technical Support Engineer whose

Lagos Aka ka, Nigeria.

research centers as well

Fiber Optic Communications

Home / Graduate / 'How nature has taught engineering to itself' SOP draft