Statement of Purpose for M.A. in Global Studies at Sophia University

Tommyangelo 1 / -  
Hello, everyone! I'm applying to the M.A. in Global Studies at Sophia University in Japan, and the school requires a statement of purpose with the following prompts: (Under 1000 words). The deadline is coming (April 21st), so I would appreciate any help I can get.

- why you have chosen to apply for the MA at Sophia University Graduate Program in Global Studies.
- your preparation (i.e. academic background, work experience, etc.) for the MA degree that you are applying to.
- your plan of study/research in the Graduate Program in Global Studies.
- how obtaining the MA degree fits into to your career plans.

Please kindly proofread my writing and give me some comments on how to improve it. Thanks a bunch!
*********

studies in japan my road into the future career

(845 words).
It is my hope to become a researcher of Japanese studies, and I strongly believe that obtaining a Master's degree in Global Studies at Sophia University is an important stepping stone in my education to pursue my career goal. Thanks to the specialized knowledge and skills attainable through its coursework, I believe that the M.A. in Global Studies at Sophia University, where diversity and global cooperation is celebrated; will be useful for me in acquiring the expertise and confidence I need to prepare myself for a Ph.D. and to grow to my fullest potential as a researcher in this field.

In term of study focus, the program's core courses fit very well with what I have been pursuing academically. As I learned from the school's website, the program offers an ideal interdisciplinary environment wherein I can examine the process of globalization within a global-local interactions context and all of its implications. By investigating these issues from a socio-political and cultural perspective, courses offered in the Global Studies program, such as [courses]; will enhance my understanding of the knowledge I learned in my undergraduate courses, while still giving me a chance to hone my Japanese-language skills. At Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University, as part of my undergraduate studies, I have taken several courses that touch on the topics of globalization, the transnational processes, and its effects. These courses include, but not limited to Transnational Sociology, Social Theory, Multiculturalism and Society, and Global Issues and Policies with the focus on the many socio-cultural issues facing our increasingly globalizing and multicultural societies. Without a doubt, these courses I took during the earlier half of my undergraduate years provided me the solid foundation to explore the nature of globalization and its far-reaching impacts in this M.A. program in Global Studies. I do hope that through this program, I will be able to revisit globalization, this time from the Japanese viewpoint, with the focus on its interactions with other nations within the East Asia region in the context of regional integration.

In pursuing my bachelor's degree, I also began to develop a sincere fondness for the English language in its interdependent connection with culture and society, especially in the role it played in the modernization and internationalization of Japan. I have been focusing my undergraduate thesis on the history of English language education in Japan, particularly on the relationship between English language education and globalization in the country, and the politics behind major English language education reforms implemented by the government throughout history. As an aspiring researcher of both global studies and pedagogic English, through my studies at Sophia University, I would like to continue and deepen my inquiry into this topic, with a view to expanding into a research to understand the perception of English language as the representation of globalization and internationalization in Japan.

I also have work experience that lent itself to the study of globalization and its connection with English language education in Japan. After my freshman year, I started working as Language Trainer for the Global Competency Enhancement Program at my university, wherein I was tasked with providing English language training to employees from major corporations in Japan, in their bid to success in an increasingly global business environment. Such exposure confirmed my interest in studying the relationship between English language education and globalization in Japan.

Last but not least, a Master's degree in Global Studies will also assist me significantly in my future career goal to become a researcher and a teacher in higher education institutions. Studying in this program at Sophia University, a top-notch university in Japan with world-class excellence in its teaching and research will give me an opportunity to acquire more than knowledge itself, but new approaches, new analytical and critical skills, and systematic thinking. I believe that the knowledge and skills I obtain during my time at Sophia University will be monumental for my pursuit of a doctorate, and ultimately, a teaching position.

Truly, I am committed to this intellectual journey and to Sophia University as well. Though I have not yet met personally with any faculty members, [professor's name] (for [professor's course]) appears to possess research interests most closely aligning with my own. I believe I am a good fit for the school, and knowing Sophia University's vision towards education; I feel that attending the program is a natural step for me, one I am prepared to work tirelessly for, with diligence and alacrity.
Vu, you have not responded to the main reason that is being asked in this statement of purpose in relation to your career. You vaguely mention wanting to become a Japanese researcher. You need to expand on that discussion by explaining the career path that you hope to take. What kind of career endgame is there usually for a Japanese researcher? What career path does taking the MA create for you? Explain these reasons in the first paragraph.

You must also develop a valid thesis statement with a (possible) research track for yourself. This will show a clear picture of the seriousness of your application. If you wish to, you can create a logical research connection between your college thesis and your (possible) masters thesis based upon what results you hope to achieve. Bear in mind that this is just a preliminary presentation so it doesn't need to be precise, nor does it need to be the actual research you will be undertaking. This paragraph should just show that you are prepared for the study path ahead of you because you have some plan for your course of study.

Do not mention that you took the information that you discussed from the school website. That makes it sound like you are not a serious applicant who bothered to do research in relation to your masters course and academic interests. Remove that reference entirely, The essay works well without that paragraph and keeps the focus solely on the purpose of your application and other prompt requirements.

Home / Graduate / Statement of Purpose for M.A. in Global Studies at Sophia University